Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java simply wont install

• Please log in to reply

dek

dek

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have Xp. Java has worked in the past but i did a system restore and now it wont install right. Every time i run the installation it completes with no errors.But when i reboot it doesn't work. none of my programs recognize it, the java control panel doesn't work it returns "The system can not find the registry key specified... Java Runtime Enviroment\1.5.0_04". I can't access in regedit it just gives another error. I've tried everything please :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dek...

regedit it just gives another error

What is the error you get when trying to open the Registry Editor?

Do you uninstall the JRE before trying to reinstall it?

wannabe1

dek

dek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The error is "cannot open javasoft: error opening key"
And yes i did uninstall,rebooted,reinstalled,and rebooted again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's just do the whole procedure one more time to make sure we get it right.

Click on Start, then Control Panel. Double-click "Add or Remove Programs". Click "Change or Remove Programs" in the left-hand side of the window. Scroll to the JavaSoft program and click on it. Click the "Remove" button to its right. Once you have responded to the confirmation message, the program will be uninstalled.

NOTE: You may see a prompt regarding uninstalling shared files; click the Yes to All button. These files are safe to uninstall.

Once you have uninstalled the JRE, reboot your computer. Then do the following:

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok". (If this doesn''t open the editor, post back and we'll try to open it another way).

Expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, click on JavaSoft, and press the Delete key on the keyboard. (NOTE: If you do not see JavaSoft listed in this location, please proceed to the next step.) When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click "Yes". Scroll all the way to the top. Close HKEY_CURRENT_USER by clicking on the minus sign to its left.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then Software, click on "JavaSoft", and press the Delete key on the keyboard. (NOTE: If you do not see JavaSoft listed in this location, please proceed to the next step.) When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click "Yes". Close the Registry Editor program.

Proceed to the following link to download the JRE: http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Save the JRE program to your Desktop. When the program has been completely downloaded and saved to your Desktop, double-click on it to perform the JRE installation. Reboot if prompted to do so.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

dek

dek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
when i expand local_machine then software and click on java it says"cannot delete Javasoft: error while deleting key

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go to C:Program Files and delete all Java folders. Then try the registry keys.

dek

dek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did a search and deleted everything with java in its name and still no luck

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Man...you sure named your topic right... :tazz:

Try it in Safe Mode logged in as Administrator.

dek

dek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
neh still nothing

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you really must delete the key, and really, I am not sure why this is needed...installing over should work, right click the registry key above, choose PERMISSIONS, scroll down in the list of users, select your name, then click FULL CONTROL, then apply

You should now be able to delete the key

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Here's another little crutch - if all else fails, download and install this program then run it and take out anything Java related. Reboot and try your installation again.

:tazz:

dek

dek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

if you really must delete the key, and really, I am not sure why this is needed...installing over should work, right click the registry key above, choose PERMISSIONS, scroll down in the list of users, select your name, then click FULL CONTROL, then apply

You should now be able to delete the key

When trying to save it says access is denied.

dek

dek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Here's another little crutch - if all else fails, download and install this program then run it and take out anything Java related. Reboot and try your installation again.

It returns in the list every time i delete it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what list?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I think the reference is in relation to RegCleaner, the utility I linked dek to. Proper use would require uninstalling any and all Java software using add/remove programs, followed by folder deletion in Program Files and in Program Files\Common, followed by RegCleaner to remove any remaining registry entries (a crutch when other approaches fail).

dek - I think you should follow gerryf's instructions as the first course of action and is it safe for us to understand that the account you ARE LOGGED IN UNDER has full administrative privledges?