Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card dilema

• Please log in to reply

Boyo

Boyo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, so I’m still trying to piece together all the parts for my next PC, but I could use some advice on the GPU companies. I do not understand how you know which company to buy from. I am buying an nVidia 7800GT. There are a lot of companies that sell this card, like EVGA, EFX, BFG etc., but what makes them different????

What exactly are the different set ups for a 7800 GT? Do these companies modify or overclock the card? I’m not really clear on how this works so if someone would mind explaining it to me, it would be appreciated. If you could also tell me the company that sells the best version of the card, that would be a big help too.

Thanks
[size=7]

Edited by Boyo, 10 February 2006 - 10:26 PM.

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Your best bet would be to take the model numbers of those your considering and use google.

Try this search string.

xxxxxxx (x=model) review/
search within results/
comparision/

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it depends on the bundle they give and yes sokme do overclock but it will tell you that BFG and HIS cards are overclocked usually, usually its best to go with the cheapest it doesnt have to have a huge bundle as games are usually crap.

If your conufused by that search string thing, just type in the name of the company then 7800GT review and woull get what you want.

Edited by warriorscot, 11 February 2006 - 07:32 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The best all around 7800gt for the price is the evga 7800gt. They make 3 versions, 1 is not overclocked as much, one is overclocked more and one is more but it comes with a motherboard combo.

The best one to get would be this..

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130256

only $295 thats a good deal for a 7800gtx.

Its not the fastest but all the company does is overclocks the video card alittle more and charges you more. It doesnt make much difference at all really. Maybe a hair more of performance that you wont even notice. Anyways you could always overclock that video card a tad and save money if you wanted to..

Edited by jrm20, 11 February 2006 - 12:52 PM.