Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 won't boot up after install

• Please log in to reply

Xeract

Xeract

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

A while back I had trouble with my computer, basically it crashed (it was running ME then) then when I booted it up all it did was show me a black screen with a flashing cursor. It never got to the windows boot screen or anything. All I had was an old Tiny recovery disk, so I tried using that to reinstall ME but still the same problem.

My friends just lent me his Windows 2000 disk, I got it to boot from CD fine and reformat my hard drive before installing 2000. It says that it has been succesful and setup will continue after a restart. When it restarts if I leave the CD in it boots from it again and goes in a circle, if I take the CD out before it reboots I get the same black screen as before.

It seems to me that windows is installing properly on my hard drive but when the PC boots up it is having trouble accessing the hard drive (I may be completely wrong about this), as I get no error when installing. I have my BIOS set to boot from CD-rom, then IDE-0, then Floppy at the minute which is why if I leave the CD in it boots from it again, however if I have boot from CD second it dosent boot from it at all. I have tried restarting after setting my boot sequence to Floppy, IDE-0, then CD but with no diference in results, as well as putting IDE-0 first.

Sorry if this post is a bit of a mess, I hope you understand the problem. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful as i've almost given up on this computer without buying extra hardware (which I cant afford at the minute)

Thanks

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

My friends just lent me his Windows 2000 disk, I got it to boot from CD fine and reformat my hard drive before installing 2000.

Since it seems that your copy of Windows 2000 is a illegal copy we cannot offer any help as it is against the terms of service for this site.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Clear CMOS and try again with YOUR own disk.

Johanna

Xeract

Xeract

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try with my disk.