Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transferring a domain name

• Please log in to reply

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hi
I recently bought a domain name from GTG hosting. I then set up an account with a local hosting service as I am in the UK. I chose to transer my GTG domain name to my local hosting service (easyspace). I recieved an email from easyspace saying that my account was up and ready to go. However my domain name didnt appear to transferred. I tried uploading my site and it kept failing. After a couple of days I searched their site and it said when transerring a domain to do a whois check to see if your domains dns settings match that of their server and if not, to change them to their dns settings. I did this, and after a day or 2 the dns settings had changed and my site appeared to upload successfully. However it is still not being displayed when you type the URL and instead you are redirected to the hosting website. I just checked my easyspace control panel and it says domain name 'awaiting transfer'.
Does anyone know what is going on here? Should I have left the dns settings alone after setting up my hosting account? I want my GTG domain name to work with easyspace hosting but I still want it to be registered under GTG because this is the cheapest way. As you may have guessed I am new to this website game so am getting a little confused now! :tazz:

Advertisements

juber0

juber0

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
This sounds like it is an issue with "GTG" I suggest contacting them and getting this situated. Can you link us to the site(s) that you are referring to?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
This does not appear to be a registrar "issue" at all, how do you get that?

Do you have all the appropriate information for your host? DNS Servers and such?

I will point Admin in this direction so he can try to help you adress any problems you seem to be having, but as has already been suggested, you should be submitting a trouble ticket via GTGHosting, not posting problems in the forum.

ScHwErV :tazz:

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Here's the link to my hosting service, www.easyspace.com and www.gtghosting.com where I bought the domain from. The site I am trying to upload is www.lovedeficiency.com.
I emailled gtghosting about this last week but have had no reply.
I went into my gtg hosting control panel yesterday and there is an option to move domain so I gave this a go. However it is asking for my ID and username of the control panel I want to move it to, but I only have a username and password and it wont accept these.
Can anyone put me in touch with the appropriate person for help (maybe forward this thread) because this has been dragging on for quite a while now and I need to get my site online?
I'd be most greatful, Thanks.

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

you should be submitting a trouble ticket via GTGHosting, not posting problems in the forum.

I have tried to contact gtg hosting but have got no reply. I don't know if it is a problem with my email account by I waited a good few days and got no reply so thats why I have ended up here.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm not sure how you contacted us, but we don't have any open support tickets for you.

1. Send an email to support {at} gtghosting.com
2. Open a ticket

Finally, http://www.lovedeficiency.com is resolving to your easyspaces hosting just fine for me. :tazz:

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Finally, http://www.lovedeficiency.com is resolving to your easyspaces hosting just fine for me. :tazz:

Yes it takes you to that easyspace page, but I have tried uploading my site and my site doesnt appear, I just keep getting that page. And in my easyspace control panel it says domain awaiting transfer. Its said this since I set up my acount last week.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
For this domain we only control the URL and the DNS (which is working correctly). Any issues with the content of the page are with EasySpace. Are you sure you've uploaded your content to the correct folder. You really need to contact EasySpace with that issue.

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

For this domain we only control the URL and the DNS (which is working correctly). Any issues with the content of the page are with EasySpace. Are you sure you've uploaded your content to the correct folder. You really need to contact EasySpace with that issue.

Ok well like I said it's possible that there is something a miss when I'm uploading my site, but this doesnt explain why in my easyspace control panel it says domain 'awaiting transfer'. Nobody is offering me an explanation for this.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
That is likely because no one can. We do not work for easyspace and are not familiar with their terminology, nor their terms of service. This is a question specifically about easyspace and should be handled with their tech support.

DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap

systems administrator

• Community Leader
  • 5,649 posts

Ok well like I said it's possible that there is something a miss when I'm uploading my site, but this doesnt explain why in my easyspace control panel it says domain 'awaiting transfer'. Nobody is offering me an explanation for this.

Fine, here's your explanation:

Talk to easyspace. The transfer is out of our control, they can take the domain from us and it's done through The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.. We can't stop a transfer - we have absolutely no control over it.

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Thanks Butler, thats kinda what I was trying to establish - who's responsible for the transfer / who initiates it, and whether it's an automatic process or something that requires the user to do something.

The issue now appears to be resolved. The domain is active and I am able to upload pages at last.
Thanks folks. :tazz:

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hey, does anyone know how to get rid of this page so that google doesn't keep displaying it at the top of it's results when you type in the name of my website? I have mentioned my URL in this topic and google has picked up on this.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
We dont delete threads.

:tazz:

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip