Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install security update KB835732 for win xp

• Please log in to reply

deepbluehues

deepbluehues

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

When I run windows update, it tells me that I need to to download and install security update KB835732. It downloads but then doesn't install, giving message: "Updates were unable to be successfully installed". Windows Update keeps on prompting me to install this update so obviously it hasn't been installed.

Also, I'm not sure what service pack I am running. I downloaded service pack 2 from the microsoft website and rebooted as directed but I'm not sure if it has been installed. I've checked my system details from control panel, and it just says "windows xp". I thought it should say "windows xp sp2"...

Any suggestions ?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi deepbluehues! Welcome to G2G!

To find out what version of windows you have installed, right-click MY COMPTUER and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, make sure the GENERAL tab is selected and it will say what version of Windows XP you have along with other information like your CPU speed, amount of memory, etc...

Fenor

deepbluehues

deepbluehues

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick reply Fenor.

That was where I was looking, and it says windows xp and not windows xp sp 2. Do you think it should say sp 2 there if I have successfully installed sp 2?

I don't recall any error messages when I did the sp 2 installation but I wasn't paying attention... I think I might try installing it again and see how I go.

Will be back after a do that...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes it should. Please go HERE and download the standalone version of Service Pack 2 if you don't already have it on your computer. Once it's downloaded, close any open programs and double-click the icon to start the installation of SP2.

KB835732 is included in SP2 so you should have no problems after updating to SP2, as long as you don't have any problems trying to update to SP2 using the file in the link above.

Fenor

deepbluehues

deepbluehues

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am downloading it now. I thought I had downloaded sp 2 a while ago and forgot about it, but I remember now that I couldn't get it from the microsoft site for some reason. I tried now, and I still can't get it. I click on download sp2 and it just takes me to the ms updates page, does a check and advises me to download the security update KB835732, which I do but then it doesn't install. Argh...

Thank you very much for your help. Hopefully that should solve the prob. Will update to let you know.

Edited by deepbluehues, 11 February 2006 - 09:39 AM.

deepbluehues

deepbluehues

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Fenor,

I downloaded it okay but it wouldn't install. A message came up about... umm... an invalid product key. I think my "version" of xp is the prob. At least I know now. Thanks heaps for your help.

Cheers,
bluehues

Edited by deepbluehues, 12 February 2006 - 06:03 PM.