Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fatal Crash

• Please log in to reply

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hahaha sorry...have a good day i'l keepy ou informed!

Advertisements

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
just booted did the kernel32 procedure but it's still the same..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go with getting the data off then wiping the drive

If the hard drive manufacturer has a set up utility which writes zeros to the drive use that before installing XP, use the full option which adds hours to the install but worth it

Had a PC which went from blue screening frequently to Zero blue screens after writing zeros

One thing to look out for is when you use the default NTFS long, not quick format during set up, check it is creating RAW1 partition on C, if it is any different, press the reset button, press D at the format section, type L to confirm and it will partition on C

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok the 'bad' HD now has rundl32.dll where as it didnt before the kernel operation.

also all the .exe files on the 'bad' hd are now visible and all work as normal!

but it still wont boot up back in it's original tower

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok this is what i think i am going to do,

try once more to repair the current install,if it gives errors take not eof each file it reffers to and then transfer those files from my old comp to the 'bad' hdd...if this fails then i will format...see any probs with this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Apart from the reluctance of the hard drive to install files, you may be quicker to get the data off and format, check the theory by trying to install something else if possible

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i'm virus scanning my 'bad' drive and avg has currently found 10 infected files and it's only upto program files/A

Edited by Ben-416, 12 February 2006 - 10:35 AM.