Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook 2003 will not open

• Please log in to reply

heathwaters

heathwaters

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i accidently deleted outlook.pst file and outlook will not open any more. i have tried to clean registry and removed in the add/remove program and tried to do an clean install with no luck. i also tried to repair and also did a complete office 2003 reinstall to no avail. i don't have a lot of personal data that i need from outlook as i recently added office 2003 but i need outlook to work properly. please anyone help me as i have tried everything i know. thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use add / remove to uninstall Office, run disc clean up, then this

http://support.micro...kb/290301/en-us

Only to remove the Office installation files, run disc clean up again then click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot

Run disc defragmenter, install Office

Optionally, you can run Tune Up after using the windows clean up utility and before installing Office

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

heathwaters

heathwaters

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
keith,

i did exactly as you suggested. i followed the first suggested steps from your post and not only did it change my icons on my desktop but microsoft outlook still will not open after all that. i can't understand how outlook is unable to do a clean re install...it does not make sense. all softeware i have ever used in the last 15 years was able to do a clean install except outlook on this machine...wow. any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you ununstall Office, use the windows clean up, run tune up then

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

That should mean the hard drive and XP file system are OK, so you can check outlook express will open, maybe set an account up and check if you can send and receive mail, if so, delete the account then install Office but choose custom / complete install, leave the installation files on the hard drive

Open Word so it runs the activation then close Word and check with Microsoft Update (before trying Outlook)

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us