Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete removal of some MS programs?

• Please log in to reply

dreamofthephoenix

dreamofthephoenix

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Is there any way to safely uninstall/remove Outlook Express, NetMeeting, and Internet Explorer from WinXP Home Edition? I 'uninstalled' IE using Add/Remove Windows Components but the files are still on my computer. I don't use the above programs and I would really prefer not to have them on my computer taking up space.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need IE for windows updates, and for the amount of room the programmes take, they are not worth removing

If you use another e-mail client then XP will use that, just don't set any accounts in OE

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
dreamofthephoenix...

Because of the way these applications are integrated into the operating system, removing them is not a good idea. Disableing them through Add or Remove Programs as you have done is the best option.

wannabe1

dreamofthephoenix

dreamofthephoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll leave the programs alone.