Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't figure out why computer is running slow

• Please log in to reply

dreamofthephoenix

dreamofthephoenix

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've noticed that my computer has been running a bit slower than usual. Programs have been loading slower or freeze up after loading (I get the little hour glass sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes longer, occasionally I have to ctrl+alt+delete out of the program and reopen it). I've also noticed that if I have more than one window open (for instance, Firefox and Word) and I go to switch from one to the other my computer takes several moments to bring up the 2nd window and when I switch back to the 1st window it again takes several moments, like the computer has to think really hard about completing a very simple task.
My system: Windows XP Home Edition, 1.10 GHz, 128MB RAM. I checked and my computer is showing I'm only using 5.67GB out of 18.6GB. I'm not on a network. I have System Restore turned off (I've heard System Restore uses a lot of memory).
I ran defrag a week or so ago and earlier today scanned my computer for viruses (clean), spyware (clean), and adware (clean). I've used CCleaner to clean up .tmp files, cookies, etc. I followed the advice gerryf gave to another member who is also having a problem with a slow computer and installed ProcessExplorerNT. System Idle Process appears to be using most of the CPU.
Any ideas (besides buying a new computer)?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
128MB RAM

yeaguhhhh!

With Windows XP?

That's like putting on your little sisters boots---maybe you can get them on, but your feet hurt like the dickens

Windows XP needs a bare minimum of 256 mb, and the sweet spot is 512mb

dreamofthephoenix

dreamofthephoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: WinXP came installed on my computer when I bought it. To be honest, though, I don't even like WinXP - I'd much rather have Win98. I was going to install Win98 on my computer but it wouldn't let me. :)