Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java update problems

• Please log in to reply

Coolhand

Coolhand

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I was recently downloading the new Java version for my computer and I did what it said for installation. I have it downloaded but it just won't seem to work. I checked it through the control panel and the browser and everthing seems fine until I see a big X where the Java applet is suppose to load. I've tried following all the instructions Java has provided for Internet Explorer 5.5+ (I have 6.0).

Help when ever you can, thanks.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
do you have norton :tazz: or any anyother antivirus program.
also try the following:
tools>internet options>advanced>scroll down to multimedia settings and make sure IE isnt blocking java apps

Coolhand

Coolhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I do have Norton but I made sure that Java (sun) was allowed to access the internet and update/be used. And under multi-media I didnt see anything that would be blocking Java from being used.

Edited by Coolhand, 12 February 2006 - 04:30 PM.

Coolhand

Coolhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry for the double post, but when I was just trying to figure it out and went on the Java site again, I went to the older version verify check something came up. It was talking about stmain.dll and I looked into that, it looked pretty harmless but that does explain why my window closes when something Java-related comes on the screen. (Ex. Yahoo games)

Is this causing a problem and if so, how do I change or get rid of it?

Thanks.