Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup files

• Please log in to reply

htmagallanes

htmagallanes

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
[b][i]
Hi guys, I am trying to get rid-off programs and/or files that are taking space in my system....I need to free some space.
Question: can I remove the Setup files of programs that are already installed?????.....Or no way????....I am using those programs by the way....so I really need them.
If deleting the files will compromise the program itself, then I won't do anything.

Thanks.
:tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi htmagallanes...

What setup files and where are they located?

wannabe1

htmagallanes

htmagallanes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for responding so fast.
The setup files I am refering to are for example:
the itunes setups (I have them in the desktop for some reason), the spywareblaster files (also on desktop), and the pc-tools setup files (on desktop).....I am not sure if you need more details on their location.
:tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All that you mentioned can be deleted.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
If you're trying to free up some space, do a disc cleanup. This will find (mostly) files you don't need and you can choose wich ones you want to delete.

HERE is a good manual for using and finding the disc cleanup.

htmagallanes

htmagallanes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks so much.
Let me ask you, for my future reference, once a program is installed and running, I can go ahead and delete de Setup files????....or depends on the program installed????
Have a great weekend.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Rule of thumb...If the setup files are on the desktop, a download folder, or a temp folder, they are generally safe to simply delete. If they reside in the same folder as the application they install, leave them.

wannabe1