Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vsinit.dll/vsdata.dll Error With ZoneAlarm/XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Brad4321

Brad4321

• Pip
  • 2 posts
As I was getting ready to restart my computer about an hour ago, I got a validation failed error with the root certificates with both the vsdata.dll and vsinit.dll files. Explorer then crashed. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, or install, uninstall, modify, download, or anything prior to this that I can remember.

If I right clicked on anything (or even nothing, such as the blank desktop), the same errors came back and explorer crashed. Trying to open up my computer, or most any program caused the same error. I searched on the internet and came across this site with instructions on how to fix the problem.

http://castlecops.co...99980-0-0-.html

The same instructions are also on zonealarm's site as well.

I was able to follow the instructions down to step 13, when I was suppose to delete the zonealarm program folder. Instead, I got an access denied message. A little investigating showed that I couldn't view, read, or modify the zone alarm folder, or any folder in my entire programs partition (I put my programs on a seperate partition). The entire partition was locked, even as an administrator.

All the help and instructions I have seen online has pointed back to that, but for some reason I can't use those instructions because everything is locked. Even trying to access the drive through a different OS, such as I am doing now, the drive and everything on it is still locked with the same access denied message.

I also tried using sfc /scannow, but that also failed. Since my XP disk is just XP with no service packs, and I am running SP2, it wouldn't recognize my disk as the correct one. I don't remember for sure, but I think in the past when I did that it just removed my service packs vs. giving me this error.

Typically I would just reinstall vs. trying to save the OS, but I have a fairly big project that needs to be done tomorrow, and this is the only computer I have with the right software. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Windows Xp Pro w/ SP2
Opteron 246
Tyan Thunder K8W
1GB Corsair PC3200

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try the zone alarm file with unlocker

http://ccollomb.free...locker1.7.9.exe

or use move on boot

http://www.snapfiles...d.php?id=104873

Another thing to try is to download the zone alarm file, click it to set up, choose clean install and it will overwrite the existing installation

Brad4321

Brad4321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neither one of them programs was able to remove zone alarm, or any of the other locked folders. I will try reinstalling next if it will even allow me to do so without crashing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you dragged the file from programme files it should move it when you reboot, even if the folder is still then in programme files you should be able to move it to my documents so it won't load zone alarm

[attachment=6519:attachment]