Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive won't burn, otherwise it OK!

• Please log in to reply

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a Dell Dimension's 8300 and my CD drive will not burn, otherwise it works fine as far as playing DVDs and CDs. I have tried updating the driver but am unable to. Not sure this will help but in my Device Manager my CD driver is called HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B.

Hope someone can help,
Tim

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
What do you mean by wont burn? did it finish the job but there is nothing on the disk or it refuse to do the job ?

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It will not even start the burn process, I get a multitude of different messages such as, not enough space on disk (even when I try to burn a 2 MB file), it will state that the disc is not empty, and most often it will just not recognize that there is a blank disk in the drive.

ahuu

ahuu

• Pip
  • 9 posts
are you trying disks you have not used before?,they might be incompatable with your drive,what buning software are you useing?what make of drive is it?you can check the manufactures website to find out what media you should use.you can also try the dangerous! option of updating your firmware.or your drive is kaput.

Edited by ahuu, 12 February 2006 - 10:17 PM.

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

I have a Dell Dimension's 8300 and my CD drive will not burn, otherwise it works fine as far as playing DVDs and CDs. I have tried updating the driver but am unable to. Not sure this will help but in my Device Manager my CD driver is called HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B.

Hope someone can help,
Tim

had a similar problem--
make sure that you are not using DL media--
sometimes driver will not support--
and/or--
try a different brand of media---
this solved my burn problem.

additionally--
found that on win xp, cd writing wizard ( built in) took care of most of my needs < data and audio burns>
had DLA installed on machine < toshiba w/ sonic DLA > from factory
just wound up deleting it...
also, check that you have cd set up for writing...

hope this helps--
am only a semi-geek.

peace,

-t.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I some what can smell that your drive is screwed. Those drives they have two heads, one for read and one for write and I saw many of them writing head quits already. but you never can be so sure yet.
What I would try is:
-Use the same type of media that you know works on that drive before. And if it doesn't work
-Try to use diffence programs or try to uninstal and reinstal the one that you normaly use. And if it still refuse to work.
-Give the experts here few days. And if nothing come up

May be it's time for a new drive.

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have tried a couple different brands of CD-R's without success, I have been using the Sonic DLA to burn data and iTunes for burning audio CDs. For some reason yesterday I got iTunes to successfully burn a CD, the only problem was the music on the CD is full of static and just plain sounds horrible, but haven't been able to burn anything since. That kind of makes me think there might be something with the actual CD drive but I'll try burning data with different software and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for everyone's help!