Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to run 2 HD's

• Please log in to reply

Ben-416

Ben-416

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
HI,

some of you may have read my post but anyways i have got to format and start again...

i'm wondering if it's possible to run 2 HD's,1 for the windows and the 2nd for all my personal files and games etc? so the hd with windows is soley for windows,nothing else?Thanks

Advertisements

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
also my buddy is telling me i can completely re install windows without formating the whole drive? is this possibe?Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the first question...yes you can have two hard drives...one set up as master one as slave...you would install windows on the master...then keep all your files on the second one...and use it as your primary install location for all your applications (though most applications will still put certain files on the master drive for operating puproses)..

basically..you have one drive jumpered as master on the end of the ide cable and one jumpered as slave on the middle connector of the IDE cable....then you would install windows on the master...and format the slave however you like to do so (usually with the manufacturere's supplied utility if it's a brand new drive...or through windows if it's a drive that you already have)...

to the second question....yes an no....

you can do an in place repair of xp without formatting the drive..but that will just repair windows itself..not get rid of anything else on the drive...such as virii and what not... you could attempt to just reinstall windows on the same partition without formatting...but that usually causes more trouble than it's worth...

so...basically...where we stand here...is that we need a little more info of what your current set up is and what you ultimately want to achieve