Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP! I Can't Access my Files :(

• Please log in to reply

Jay Scott

Jay Scott

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I have recently upgraded my CPU and Motherboard, I attempted to use my existing Hard Drive and all was goin well...untill I started up :tazz:
I couldnt update the drivers as for some reason my Windows wasn't even SP1, it asked me to re-install Windows. I did so and due to my in-experience, I had no back ups of my documents.
Now when I start windows, my documents are there from the original Windows, but because I installed XP over my original Windows XP, I can't seem to get to my documents and files.
I can see the file which contains my documents, but when I click to open it, i get the message

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.P.BELL is not accessible. Access is Denied."

If anybody could give me some advice as to how to get at these files would be greatly appriciated as I really need these files!

Please Help!

Thanks

Jay

Edited by Jay Scott, 12 February 2006 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jay Scott

You need to take ownership of the files. Follow this Microsoft Guide.

wannabe1

Jay Scott

Jay Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

Thanks very much for the link you posted to me, it worked first time and I can now access my documents.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!

Jay

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My Pleasure! :tazz:

wannabe1

Jay Scott

Jay Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wannabe1,

I don't suppose you know anything about installing BIOS do you? mM motherboard and processor is new and I am struggling to install the bios for the motherboard. (Yes as you can probably tell by now, I am a complete amature who has definately bitten off more than he can swallow :tazz: )

I have followed the very basic instructions supplied in the motherboard manual and I get a BIOS installation error message when I attempt to install the BIOS.

Once again I really appriciate all help. If I don't get back to you again untill tomorrow it is because I will be in bed.

Thanks again,

Jay

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What motherboard to you have? Make and model number....

Jay Scott

Jay Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's an Asus A8V-Deluxe (Socket 939)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this Asus BIOS Update Utility. It's a fairly new service provided by Asus to update the BIOS from the internet.

wannabe1