Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reading DVDs

• Please log in to reply

Aziza1969

Aziza1969

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an eMac and recently bought a LaCie external DVD burner. I've worked through the maze of backing up DVDs to my hard drive, but have one DVD (Duran Duran: Live From London) that the superdirve just won't read. It plays fine in my set-top DVD players, but the computer drive won't read it. It sits in the drive, and the drive tries and tries to read it, but it seems pretty stubborn. All the software (Mactheripper, DVD2one, and Toast) says there is no disc in the drive, and there is no disc image on the desk top.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
there is the posibility that the recording compnay installed some kind of protection on the disk to prevent it from reading on the computer. another possibility is that the disc has a different country code then what the reader supports.

look on the disc jewel case to determine the country code, ie 1, 2, or 3) and then check your dvd drive manual to make sure it can recognize the one used.

Aziza1969

Aziza1969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It wouldn't be a country code issue - Region one, and it plays in the TV set DVD player just fine. My burner has seen plenty of region one discs.

So I'm thinking protection on the disc. Irritating that they would make it not play in certain DVD drives - designing a product not to work seems just stupid, although I get that it's an anti-piracy thing.

Any way around those sorts of protections? I seem to recall Sony doing something similar with CDs a few years ago - they were unreadable in PCs, and even made some crash.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I'm not sure if there are any ways around it. and if there were that would be something we can't give out on Geeks to go.

sorry

Aziza1969

Aziza1969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, thanks for your help.

It's frustrating that media corporations can get away with preventing someone from doing legal activities with their products.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
they do it because of the people who do illegal activities with their products. So really you can't blame them, you should blame the ones who break the law. :tazz: