Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wininet.dll

• Please log in to reply

Opgots

Opgots

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Upon turning on my computer I get a message that saddens me. "This application has failed to start because wininet.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Heres the funny thing, I know where wininet.dll is. I can find it. By running it with Windows Explorer, I can get windows explorer to work. My other programs...not so much.

Only internet programs and spyware search programs are really affected by this. But its still annoying. I find Wininet.dll in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 as an application extention. Among the programs affected by this: Ad-aware, Spybot, AOL programs. Ironically instant messanger programs are not affected.

Ive tried many things to fix this. Ok not many, but the obvious ones. System Restore, Last Good Configuration. No good. I cant system restore without getting a "Cannot restore to this point. No changes were made to your computer." Ive tried til about the beginning of Febuary, then I gave up. Perchance I shouldnt have.

In any case, I dont know what to do. So if you could help me out here....

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi Opgots, Welcome to Geeks to Go

This sounds like it is a problem that should be handled in the malware forum.

Please start a new topic in that forum and I will close this one.

Regards,

Trevuren