Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP PLZ! computer becomes very slow

• Please log in to reply

jcrush

jcrush

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I'm new! :)

I have a problem here and thank you in advance for those who would help! :tazz:

I'm running on Windows XP Profession Version 2002, Service Pack 2. With Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHz, 504 MB of RAM. Everything was good and fast and enjoyable until a couple of days ago, when as usual, I was transfering some video files I got from a friend from an external hard drive onto my computer, it suddenly got really slow. at some point, the transfering screen was showing that it'd take 256 mintues to complete the transfer where normally it's only take up to 10 min (I was like, transfering 8 Gigs of stuff at one time, again, as usual). I remember when this happened, I heard some weird noise. it was literally sounds the computer was making, it's the physical hardware, I think, 'cause it made me think that some parts are broken or falling off inside or something.

so I stopped the transfer immediately, tried to clear cache and all the junk and was hoping a restart will clean up everything. I was wrong, the restart took exceptionally long time. and since then, my computer never got back to perform fast like before. (I knew the run msconfig trick where you can modify the programs on windows Startup. and besides the necessary system tray and stuff, I only have like one more program that'll run on start up - MSN messenger)

I did scan for spyware using X-Cleaner and Adware, found nothing. haven't scanned for virus yet because I thought I'd defragment the drives first. my computer has four partitions, Drive C, the primary drive run on English XP, drive D, the secondary drive runs on Chinese XP, drive E is a plain storage space, and drive F is for recovery. just defragmenting drive C took 9 hours!!! :) and it was just complete at 50% which means in order for the whole drive C to be defragmented it'd take 18 hours which before would only take up to 30 min! I got impatient so I stopped at 50% and switched to the Chinese XP on drive D. everything is normal there. I ran defragmentation on C again and it only took 10 min to complete. so I can tell my English XP on drive C is very much messed up. but why, and how?

one other thing I think I should mention is that I have Symantec Norton System Works on my system, but it shouldn't be the cause of problem because it worked perfectly before. anyway, here's my HijackThis log on my English XP on Drive C:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:15:34 PM, on 2/12/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony\Shared Plug-Ins\Media Manager\MSSQL$SONY_MEDIAMGR\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\AutoSizer\AutoSizer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe
C:\Program Files\eMule2\eMule.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Li Sheng.HOME-642UCALQS3\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: IDM Helper - {0055C089-8582-441B-A0BF-17B458C2A3A8} - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMIECC.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AutoSizer] "C:\Program Files\AutoSizer\AutoSizer.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All Links with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEGetAll.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEExt.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\idmmbc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: OdysseyClient - C:\WINDOWS\
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

anything peculiar? by the way, I already ran windows update and it did not solve the problem either. Other than startup slow, and the normal windows tasks being slow (especially when transfering files), the Internet is fine, fast as before, and no pop-ups.

any ideas? thanks a LOT!

Advertisements

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
If you suspect it's a Malware/Spyware problem. You should post it in the

Malware Removal Forum

with your HJT Log, they will help you thoroughly there.

jcrush

jcrush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks a lot! I'll post it there once. hmm, but somehow I don't really think it was a malware problem, though I ran hijackThis anyway...