Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown shutdown/scare

• Please log in to reply

hank_cheif

hank_cheif

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi guys, i recently been having this problem with my comp, althought nothing real serious i dont think...its pretty annoying/scary

whenever i sometimes turn my comp on, and am not on it, say i so happened to turn it on, but never went back to it - i sometimes come back to a blue screen, or a system disk, put in something and push enter...i tried catching what the error says but its hard as i couldnt really save or do anything, the blue screen i think says something about Kernel error, memory something/memory dump? (i dont even know the exact words) but sometimes my pc wont even boot up, itll shoot me to the last known configuration/safe mode screen after numerous tries -- and not want to boot up (last time this happened and i couldnt get it going i had to system restore)

the thing is, i know its nothing to bad as it never happens unless im not at the comp, i can be say have a file downloading and not be at the pc, or messangers runnin and it's fine, its only when i turn the pc on, and is idle without ever touching anything it happens (i have no clue as to what it is or what causes it)

any ideas?? or actions i can take to prevent this

Advertisements

hank_cheif

hank_cheif

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i was told this was the BSOD = computer crash

any sort of help as to preventing/fixing this?

Edited by hank_cheif, 14 February 2006 - 08:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.