Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

Hunkster123

Hunkster123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone,

Ill try to keep this as straight foward as possible. I installed Windows XP Home on a 20GB partioned SAMSUNG 30GB hard-drive. It was working fine. The I decided to add a second hard-drive which I recently bought (this was to be the slave). The computer would not boot and I then got a INT13 / 02h Read error (AX = 0101, DL = 80). I then removed the second hard drive and attempted to boot the first. Still got the same message. Then after a couple of more attempts I noticed that the during the startup that the Samsung SV...... has changed to a Qamsunz """"". Dismayed by this I tried a clean install on a hard-drive I knew which was working fine (a slave from another computer). I still got the exact same read error. I have attempted to use different IDE cables, swapped different power leads from the PSU, I have checked the power supply is running near enough at 12 volts. I tried a third hard-drive for a clean install and still got the same error message. Sometimes if I am lucky enough to get past this point on installation I will get a blue screen saying that a hardware error has occured 00000007F....

I really dont know what it could be. The MB is new, the memory works fine in other computers. Any help would be most appreciated.

Kind regards Will

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
This is a very strange error from what I have found out INT13 is a bios interupt and o2h is read disk sector into memory error. What all this means I don't really know but sounds like you should trouble shoot the memory (run memtest86). Just because the memory runs in another computer does not mean it is good.

If the ram tests good after running memtest for 5 or 6 hours then I would try clearing the cmos and loading the bios defaults.

Rick

medun

medun

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same error. I am using an older board, ASUS P5A-B and a 60GB Western Digital Hard Drive (WD600). I am installing Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

The BIOS did recognize the hard drive (after about 1 minute of using the detect harddrive in the BIOS). I booted Windows 2K from the CD and it found the drive, partioned it and installed the base OS files there.

After reboot, I would get the INT13/ 02h Read error (AX=0100, DL=80) when the OS tried to boot to complete the installation.

I fooled around with cables and settings but nothing worked.

I finally found out that I had the jumper on my hard disk set to 'Master with Slave present'. Since I did not have a slave drive present, I switched the jumper to master only and everything worked fine.

Hope this is of some use.

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try reseting the bios and making sure your HD jumpers are on cabel select