Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tools to Migrate Programs/Data to New Operating System

• Please log in to reply

MarkH1254

MarkH1254

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My XP Home SP2 became corrupted and wouldnt let me login to my account, as if my profiles had been corrupted. Safe mode was all that would work. It was suggested that I boot on the XP disk and perform the repair procedure that is outlined on here.

After booting on the XP cd and trying to reinstall/repair my corrupted XP home installation I gave up and called Microsoft. I might add, it got hung up on registering components and took almost two hours to run.

Bottom line, in exasperation I called Microsoft, and after four hours on the phone, Microsofts only solution is install another operating system on the existing partition in a different folder. This did save my data and programs, however I would like to run the programs.

Here's my question. Are there any utilities or tools that will transfer the programs from my corrupteed XP installation to the newly installed one on the same machine?

Thanks
Mark

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, not given your circumstances because part of the programs settings are in the registry

Some utilities will attempt to move programs with limited success, but they all depend on you're being able to access the old computer's registry.

Since your issue sounds like a corrupted registry, and since you cannot access that installation, I would say no

However, if you did as directed, you can reinstall your programs and all of your program specific files should still be there--updating will overwrite program files, but application data should be there still