Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Browsers Not Working

• Please log in to reply

postce

postce

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi,

I posted on the malware site first because I thought I had malware, but apparently I don't. Here is the link:

http://www.geekstogo...5&gopid=565104

My issue is that my internet explorer all of a sudden stopped working. It gave me an error page (server can not be found). I also loaded firefox and I have to go to the c: windows: temp folder to erase the twain and the twunk temp files before I can get onto it. I get the page timed out if I don't do that.

Thank you!

Postce

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of connection do you have?

In the meantime, could you

start > run
cmd
<enter>

then type
ipconfig /all >> Desktop\ip.txt
<enter>

and then attach ip.txt from your desktop to your next post
"%userprofile%"\desktop\ip.txt

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi. I have a dial-up connection. Here's the report from what you told me to do:

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi Matt,

I'm wondering if you were able to find out what is going on?

Thanks,
Postce

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When someone asks you to attach, please attach. When someone asks you to post, then post

What is going on here? Are you posting from two different computers? Who is your ISP provider?

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
GerryF,

Apparently I wasn't attaching it right - then maybe you could let me know how to do it rather than being rude. I wasn't hearing back from Matt and had waited several days so I was nicely asking if there was more information since I know you are all busy. You don't need to be so rude, and maybe consider being a little more helpful instead. I don't need someone to TELL me to post or attach when I was just checking in - even though nobody "TOLD" me to.

I've had great luck with all of the other geekstogo staff, pleasant, helpful, etc. So hopefully you just had a bad day.

Postce

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there is no matt, I was not being rude. I asked you to attach a file rather than post. There is nothing rude about clarifying what I had said in the previous post and then saying in the future please attach

If I came off that way, I apologize,

I was concerned because you posted senstive information on the internet that could allow a hacker to infiltrate your PC.

Furthermore, you did not answer any of my questions. I cannot figure what is going on based on the information you have provided....twain and thunk are related to scanning software and nothing to do with internet connectivity.

You said you thought you had malware, but now you do not--based on a link that is unclear

Tell you what, download and install hijackthis, then ATTACH a log. Do a scan and save a report, then save the notepad file as hijackthis.txt and attach it by click the BROWSE button

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thank you for clarifying. It did come off that way, but I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Matt happened to be the malware guy so I got the two of you mixed up when I checked back in with you.

Let me back up so you know where we started. One night when we went online it posted web pages for google and yahoo from thanksgiving all of a sudden. A friend said that it was probably looking up the cached files. Then we completely could not use our internet explorer so I wanted to check to see if we had any malware. Since then I figured out if I erased what was in the temp folders (the twain and twunk) that we could use the internet. We had dial-up and now we just got dsl and the dsl person fixed whatever was wrong with the internet explorer. I am going to go ahead and attach the hijack this file though just to make sure you don't see anything. Thank you for letting me know about the attachments - I have been posting all along and no one else has commented so that is good to know!!

Thank you,
Postce

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Forgot to answer your questions: I am posting from the same computer - not two. Our ISP is Qwest now.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Postc,

I think that you are still infected with at least two things that I see...I am not certain why that wasn't caught the last time through. Rock is one of the best malware guys we have

:tazz:

It's hard to tell what happened with that thread....were they perhaps a couple people posting in that thread, as it now seems to be split

It is very likely that this is at least part of the issue...I am going to flag down a malware expert to take a look at this one just in case I am misreading...not sure how long this will take as its Sunday and late at that....

You might as well go to sleep and we will tackle it tomorrow after I get some feedback.

Advertisements

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well I know one person was helping, and then because I couldn't get on my computer and was posting from a friend's at the time I took too long at one point and someone else asked me to post so Matt (I think) could take a look. Maybe that is why it split? I'm not sure. Anyhow, sounds good. It actually makes me feel better that there is something - because it would worry me that my computer was going haywire for no reason!

Thank you again!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, yes, comfirmed there are at least three bad entries (maybe more), and all could be contributing to this problem

I need you to start a NEW second thread in malware, posting that log.

I will flag it a priority so that you get moved to the front of the line since you went through the queue once already...PM me when you have posted so I can do that.

If the problem persists after the malware team gives you the all clear, come back to THIS thread

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi GerryF,

I was sent back to you - I don't know if I should post a new topic or continue with this one. I am malware free, but when I go to ie (I'm currently using firefox instead) it pops up a window that says c:\documents and settings\chris\desktop is not accesible access is denied - so I'm not sure what is going on there?

Thanks,
Postce

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Nope, this is perfect. Coming back to this thread leaves a clear trail. Now we have a clean slate to work on.

Close everything

OK, Start > control panel > internet Options.

In the top section called HOMEPAGE, click USE DEFAULT, then OK

try IE again

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi. I think that worked! One more question. When I log in under our second user in our computer and go online my computer goes into safe mode. I followed some instructions from the malware site, but it did not fix the problem. After that I think my computer is up and running! Thank you!