Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet freezes after a while, unable to download some files

• Please log in to reply

Lachrym

Lachrym

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
First off, please note that I scanned and cleaned my computer with the programs in the "You Must Read This..." sticky (including the WinSockXP Fix), and posted several HijackThis logs in the Malware section, after which I apparently (unlikely) completely cleaned my computer of spyware. However, sadly, this problem still exists. So here it is:

After a while (i.e. 10 minutes or so) of being online and enjoying a relatively normal connection (minus another problem I will mention), I can't visit any websites, check my mail, or use any other online services. At this point, my connection is apparently still intact, because I am not completely signed off, but it is mostly useless. This happened to me while trying to post this, but I don't think it has anything to do with data submission. There are some instances in which trying to read my mail or visit a URL results in a disconnection. For the record, I am using AOL (bad bad Lachrym) 9.0 Optimized (riiiight) on a 56K HSP56 MicroModem.

Now, about that other problem I mentioned. I cannot download most files over about 500KB without the download freezing and causing me to have to restart the download completely. What happens is when the download bar reaches a certain point, usually around 500KB, the download freezes. Not stops, but freezes (the earth-to-folder animation continues to loop, but the download bar stays in the same place).

And thus are the problems of Lachrym. I would GREATLY appreciate any amount of help that anyone can offer. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards and thanks in advance,
Lachrym

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Lachrym, Welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

what i whould first like for you to do is Update IE:
Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Update XP
We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us. please update windows by going to the microsoft site, www.microsoft.com. Inorder to download the updates you will need to be running IE.

also i know that if i dont say it now one of my collegues will, here in the inernet and browsers fourm, whenever someone complains of a problem in IE it is almost garunteed one of the helpers will suggest the user should switch to firefox. and so i whould like to suggest that to you. firefox is more secure, and faster. and FREE. but if you whould like to stick with IE, i totaly understand.

After you have done all that please post back if you are still having problems. :)

hope this is helpful!

if this dosent work (unlikely), then i whould suggest that you do a temp dump, what could possibly be happaning is you are getting so many temp files stored up on your computer that your ram becomes full.

Temp Dump:
tools>internet options>general>under tempory internet files>settings>settings>view files> delete anything in there dont you recongnize, remember that not all temp files are bad, these include favorites, and saved passwords.

if you dont have any saved passwords or favorits then you can do a complete temp dump, but i do not recoment it unless you truly do not care about any of the temp files :tazz: :
Click start then control panel, click network and internet then internet options

On the general tab, click delete cookies, click delete files, include offline content, click clear history.

Click apply after each change.

Click the security tab and click default, click privacy and click default, click programmes and click reset web settings, click advanced to tick, do not save encrypted pages to disc and empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete.

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools, to run disc clean up, reboot

==============
hope this is helpful, post back if you have any pproblems, or if it works. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
sry to butt in here but i think you should do everything posted here but the internet explorer fix. This will not help you out under these circomstances.

Note to Mile Runner, we suggest firefox however its usless if IE doesn't work. Well not useless but the user still must has a functional IE to use windows update among many other things.

thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 February 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Lachrym

Lachrym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks to both of you.

Mile Runner, it seems I have more problems than I thought. My computer didn't come with an XP CD at all, so I can't perform the IE update.

Besides, the problem is not just in IE; it happens with my overall internet connection. And, unfortunately, my problem, as I stated, prevents me from downloading large files without having to restart the downoad completely. So Windows Update does not work for me.

And I just cleaned my temp files yesterday with CleanUp. Even when I had cleaned them before, the problem persisted, so I doubt that's the cause.

So, as of now, I'm at a complete loss. Any other ideas?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
well have you ever suspected malware, because thats where i think your journey is leading you. I think you ought to get a HJT log checked out. Please go to the malware forum and post a Hijackthis log and they'll help ya out from there. If you STILL continue to have problems after that post back.
thanx
James

Lachrym

Lachrym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Like I said, I scanned for malware and spyware and posted a few HJT logs (Crustyoldbloke helped me there), so I don't think that's the problem. Any other suggestions?

Edited by Lachrym, 14 February 2006 - 11:15 PM.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
sorry about that one james, i thought i took that part out of my canned speach, wow, sorry about that :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
don't worrie about it. Just thought i ought to bring it up.
thanx
James

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

don't worrie about it. Just thought i ought to bring it up.
thanx
James

yeh johanna talked to me about it :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Like I said, I scanned for malware and spyware and posted a few HJT logs (Crustyoldbloke helped me there), so I don't think that's the problem. Any other suggestions?

I'm happy that you keep your computer up to date and keep a check on it, however there are more powerful tools out there such as Hijackthis. Please alow some of our staff to assist you with this. After posting in the malware forum and getting the thumbs up then come back here.
thanx
James

Advertisements

Lachrym

Lachrym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Just thought you should know, HJT stands for HijackThis. Like I said, I posted some HijackThis logs and was helped by Crustyoldbloke. So I don't suspect malware as part of my problem.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
what about the temps?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
yes i understand that HJT satnds for Hijackthis, sry i didn't mean to post that in this topic, my bad.
thanx
James

Lachrym

Lachrym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
MR: Yes, I cleaned the temps with CleanUp less than five minutes ago.

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Do you use Norton Internet Security?