Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory info

• Please log in to reply

dragonfire

dragonfire

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
could some one pls tell this old bloke is there any such thing as memory optimizer and if so are they any good or just a big con

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
There are lots of them and they are all pretty much useless--indeed, sometimes they actually harm performance.

Memory optimizers function mainly by flushing data from memory--the problem with this is if the data is not in RAM, the program needs to access the harddrive to get it (and that is much slower than RAM).

Some say that this flushing process defragments ram, and then the ram then fills back up in sequential fashion so that the data now in ram reads faster. Sounds logical, but I have never seen any real proof that programs can access data stored sequentially faster than data not stored sequentially--plus you have to contend with the fact that RAM Optimizers are generally set to continuously flush ram on a scheduled basis (every X minutes), which negates any performance boost since your programs are back to hitting the harddrive again).

I've heard people talk about some ram optimizers that will allign data in RAM in different ways to improve performance, rather than flush the ram, but I have not seen such programs. Would this work? I am skeptical.

I would say give them wide berth

dragonfire

dragonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanx gerryf for reply ,will do as stated give them a wide berth
once again thanx