Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

p4 64 bit or 32 bit

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hi guys,
just recently i have been searching on the net for some detailed specs about my proccesor i have a pentium 4 3.0Ghz 531 socket 775 on a gigabyte GA-8iPE775-G motherboard.
after looking at a few different websites they have been saying that this particular proccesor has EMT64 now can somebody please tell me what this means? i no that EMT stands for extended memory technology but is my processor 32 bit and is capable of running 64 bit applications and operating systems or have i got this all wrong? and is 1 Mb cache pretty small i no you can get 2MB but whats the difference what does this do for the proccesor?
and is this proccesor any good for video editing? or should i have got a more powerfull proccesor? i heard that the intels are far better at this than AMD

please explain this to me
thanks for your assistance

Edited by troppo, 15 February 2006 - 05:19 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it would have the 64 bit extensions(or should anyway) it will be capable of 64 bit apps when using the 64 bit os but remeber intel dont make a true 64 bit pentium its basically a bit they just stuck on to let it use 64 bit apps. 2mb is bigger than 1 and the bigger the cache the better. Intel are better than video editing but its not a huge difference and is dependant on the software and on an X2 the difference is nothing and since the AMDs are cheaper they can on occasion work out faster for the price.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
very true about the AMD are cheaper.
is there anypoint in getter a 64 bit os or 64 bit apps? Does windows xp home run on 32 or 64 bit or doesnt windows support this yet? is that why windows is releasing the windows vista os to accomadate the 64 bit AMD's?

is pentium relesing a 64 bit version of there proccessors (or a new one) i hear AMD's are leading by a huge jump in that area.