Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Found new hardware

• Please log in to reply

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
When I turned my computer on this morning, the found new hardware wizard popped up. The problem is that I had not added any new hardware to the computer. I did try to install a printer, but decided against it, and unplugged it. I have checked Device Manager and found a Question mark in it. It's under Other Devices and has two devices under it: Parallel Device (located unknown) and Unknown Device (located on PCI standard ISA bridge). Any ideas on what these could be?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Morning williesbest2!

Have you tried right-clicking the items in the Device Manager and then choosing uninstall and then rebooting? Those two items are most likely associated with the printer you decided not to install. When you decided not to use the printer, aka install it, how far in the setup process did you get before you decided not to use it? Did you just turn it on and plug it into your computer or did you install software for it? If you installed software for it, then you might want to go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the control panel and remove any items listed that pertain to the printer you decided not to install.

Fenor

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Yeah, they were related to my printer. I did install the software and removed it. I didn't want to completely remove the drivers, I just disabled them just in case something goes wrong when rebooting.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Nothing would go wrong uninstalling the hardware itself. So re-enable them if they are still disabled and then uninstall them both from the device manager.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 15 February 2006 - 06:19 AM.