Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

oh,oh now I've really done it!

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I had a thread on my computer being slow. running win.98se. So did everything I was told, ran a clean up off here, scanned, defragged, took all my start up programs off that I didnt need, got rid of extra virus programs. I had it better and now I've obviously gone too far. Start up brings fatal exception OE and then WINWORD caused a general protection fault in module GDI.EXE. Reboot and its goes to scan not once but twice. Definately slow again. Is there any help for me or should I ship myself off to the 'shouldnt be allowed around computers' asylum?????

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a start up disk? If not, download this Boot Disk. Save it to your desktop. Double-click the downloaded file and put a floppy in the drive when prompted to do so. This will create a Win98SE OEM startup disk.

Restart with the startup disk in the floppy drive. At the Options screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt.

At the A:\ prompt, type c: and press "Enter".

At the C:\ prompt, type windows\command\scanreg /restore (Note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter".

Use the down arrow key to choose a file dated before you made the last changes and press "Enter".

Remove the floppy and reboot. Does your machine boot to Windows?

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
K, thanks, seems to have gotten rid of fatal error. Still slow, but will see how it goes from here. Just very frustrating as dont allow any music programs, music downloads, nothing but basics as use puter for work. I see some puters loaded with everything under the sun and no problems. Jeeez......thanks will be back if some new thing pops up, which somehow am expecting it. hmmmm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What that procedure did, islandcat, is roll back the registry to before you made the last changes. We didn't do anything to address the speed issue.

Have you listed your system specs in another topic? If you have, would you post me a link to that topic? I not, please post them for me here.

wannabe1