Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help me...........please!

• Please log in to reply

burnsryan

burnsryan

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
hi folks....i really need some help with my laptop. im ready to bin it if i dont get any progress soon. any one with any tips or hints.......please pm me. thanks

Advertisements

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Uhhhmmm, not to be rude, but stating the problems would make it easier to help you.

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
ok here goes...................when i switch on my lap top the following message appears. "missing operating system". im lost.!!!!!!! tried to re install 98 and then XP from cd drive but no joy. then tried a floppy boot but still nothing

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Can you get to the C: prompt? Is the win 98 you tried an oem or upgrade? Same for the xp?

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
yes, can get to c: prompt. but typing "dir" returns "invalid media type reading C drive, abort retry fail". how do i tell if my 98 is oem or upgrade?

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
volume in drive c has no label

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
zan, u there? help me out

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
First, it sounds like the hard drive is completely blank.
Second, the only way I know to tell on the 98 is to put the cd in and see. If it is an upgrade it will tell you you need to have an earlier version installed. I don't know about xp, hate the program. So, when you put in the 98 cd what happens?

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
cool, i understand. when i put the 98 disc in, it tries to load up......but stops and nothing happens. i've still got tthe c rompt flashing on the screen

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
the 98 disc isnt an upgrade

Advertisements

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i messed about with partitions via fdisk......has that maybe caused the problem?

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Could have. I know my toshiba has all of it's running information behind a partition. Can you run check disk? Scan disk? I know this takes a while, but starting simple is the best way I've found.

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
cant do anything-----my screen is blank with only the words "missing operating system" at he top. there is no response from any keys i press (apart from loud beeps) ctrl + alt + del reboots the machine

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm not one of the techs on this site, just had my share of experience. Keep looking for help. You might post this under hardware as well since it's sounding more and more like thats what it is. It sounds like bios and such are missing from the machine. Try a restart and hitting f8 to see if you can get to the bios. Run the fdisk again and see if there are any partitions left. Sorry I can't be more help.
Zan

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
no worries thanks for the help ill post again under hardware regards rayn