Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox running amok

• Please log in to reply

mdodger

mdodger

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Let me first say that I really like Firefox as a browser. Ok, here goes "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGG" what the [bleep] is happening with my Firefox?

For some reason my Firefox has just started (today) to open itself and repeatedly spawns more windows. This completely boggs down my pc (win XP Athalon 2200+, 512 mb ddr). Even after I open the task manager and shut down the application it opens itself and runs amok again.

Has anyone else encountered this? What can I do?

I have uninstalled my xx.7 version earlier today and the mystery launcher seemed to stop. A few hours later I then downloaded the xxx.5 version from Firefox.com, installed and was able to use successfully for a few hours before it too started to run amok.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
well uninstalling it was going to be my guess but since you have already done that, try updating it by going help->check for updates. If this does nothing i'm thinking this is very likly to be spyware related so if this continues after you have installed the latest version please go into the malware forum and post there with a HJT log.
thanx
James

mdodger

mdodger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Could you please explain what is a HJT.

Thanks James.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
please read this is should clear up all your questions http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

then please post in the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 February 2006 - 05:36 PM.