Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP dvd writer 740i

• Please log in to reply

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I hope I'm doing this correctly, I need help reverting my HP dvd740's firmware back to ff24. I went to a site I thought was a branch of HP. It said it could update my firmware to newest. Now unfortunately my HP is seen as a "HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-4166b" and it no longer sees half of the items I had on a DVD-RW, I've gotten as far as to find out it is a new "firmware" (but by a different company?) I can't find a way to revert to my old firmware which was "FF24" any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is a recently released product, there may not be official updates

http://h10025.www1.h...&product=502021

Ask their tech support about it

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm sorry, perhaps I did not word it correctly. I am looking to "Roll-back" my HP dvd740i's firmware to factory condition, which was firmware ff24, so it will show up correctly, and read my dvd-rw correctly I have contacted "Help and Support" or tried to at least

Edited by krtsbgfut, 15 February 2006 - 10:00 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I looked at HP.com but they do not have firmware for the 740i listed, to undo the upgrade, you will need a file to overwrite the inplace one

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Any ideas on where to find such a firmware? Anyone?

Edited by krtsbgfut, 15 February 2006 - 10:11 PM.

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have also tried desperately to find out who is responsable for making my once dream drive, but to no avail

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There doesn't seem to be a firmware upgrade

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is there anywhere to perhaps just find the maker of my drive? even somewhere to download the origional?

Edited by krtsbgfut, 15 February 2006 - 10:45 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From my signature, click system information, and or what's running, and or sysjewel

These may say who the drive is made by

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Whoa I'm sorry, you just did a fly-by, Oh never mind, I slowed down, and actually read your post. :l

Edited by krtsbgfut, 15 February 2006 - 10:55 PM.

Advertisements

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Unfortunately it no longer identifies itself as HP, it now says "LG Electronics" yet the HP 400i I also have in the system identifies itself as HP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not such a bad thing if it says which model LG

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't like it for the simple fact is It does not recognize several of the DVD rw I had made when it identified itself as "HP DVD740I" I desperately would like it back to the old way. (Sorry to "sound" so whiney, but I'm all about origional hardware/ firmware, but optimised) I was tricked into updating what I thought was a firmware update, only to find it was a work-around

Edited by krtsbgfut, 16 February 2006 - 09:55 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could ask LG which of their drives HP rebadged as the 740i, LG may even send you the current firmware in a zip file if you explain the problem

If you contact HP you can only say it has stopped working

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you very much, I shall do that. If you are ever in Pittsburgh PA, e-mail me, I'll take you to lunch or something.