Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setting up a small home network, need help

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
ive basically got 4 computers,

My Computer, its located in my room
My dads computer, located in his office,
my mums computer, located in her office
My Laptop, in my room whilst connected to the network,

my first goal was to get all these computers online at the same time, i ordered this router yesterday
http://www.eyo.com.a...Port_RP614.html
it arrived this morning and all computers can now connect online, except my mums but only because i wired the cat 5 cable incorrectly, goign to buy more of the ethernet connectors for the cable and will rewire it tomorrw

the network is not wireless if that makes a differance, using cat5 cables going through the ethernet port

Im running windows xp pro,

now that internets working i would like to know how i can enable file sharing, this way i wont have to run a disc out to my dads office/garage just to get or give him one file, could someone help me set this up?

cheers,
Ben

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, computer name to check all the computers are part of the same workgroup, and have different computer names, adding a description for the computer could be useful, garage, you etc

Click start, control panel, network and internet, network set up wizard, you may need to select other so you can choose the option for this and other computers connect independently, also at the end, choose use XP disc to set up the other computers then insert it into the other PC's following the onscreen instructions

Click start, my computer, click local disc C, create a folder there, right click it, click properties, click sharing and choose the options you want. You will need to move any file you want to share there, but this is safer than sharing the whole computer

Any computer you want to share with needs to be turned on, check your firewall allows it, eg Zone Alarm will only permit sharing through the trusted zone

You can also share the printers and if all the PC's run XP then the drivers will load automatically, usually, if you use 98SE for example, you can share the printers but will need to load drivers for it

That's one way you can do it

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
My Netgear router had file sharing (uPnP) OFF by default. Check yours.

:tazz:

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
thanks blaster and keith,

upnp was turned off, just turne d it on, but the network still isnt working, ive actually tried the same thing you suggested keith a few tunes before but nothing is happening, i go tomy netweok places and cant see any of the shared folders, i click on create a new network place and it only shows me the computer im using, nothing else

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the workgroup is identical

If you click start then my network places then view workgroup computers to get a list of the ones online

Then double click one to see the folders

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
work group names identical, MSHOME, not detecting any other computers, is there any other way i can set up a network?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with this, chapter 2

http://kbserver.netg...er_id=257851908

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts