Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VERY WEIRD INTERNET PROBLEM WITH AOE2 + NETWORK

• Please log in to reply

potvin

potvin

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys.. ok listen to this...

I have 2 computers on my network which are hooked up to the router.
Computer 1 = Pentium4 (Main) -- 192.168.2.160
Computer 2 = Pentium3 (Other) -- 192.168.2.139

AOE2 (exact same version: CD2.0) is installed on both computers, I've opened ports 47624..2300-2400 for both computers...
What i'm trying todo here is get a multi-player online game via TCP/IP.
When I create a game on the MAIN computer, and then I try to connect with the OTHER computer on the network using the internet IP .. it doesnt find the game.. but when i use the local IP it finds it. BUT my friend with his own internet connection from his house connects to my internet IP with no problems. So we tried my friend connect via internet IP, then the OTHER computer connects via local IP so all 3 of us are in the game room .. although when my friend types something in the chat,, OTHER computer does not see what he is typing .. also when we start the game it never actually starts because my friend is waiting for OTHER computer to load and when I look at the OTHER computer screen its waiting for my friend to load.. so obviously if your gunna do a internet multiplayer game u need everyone to connect to the internet IP.. no lan ip's...

but what really gets me confused... forget about the Main computer.. i did a lot of troubleshooting for about 5 hrs yesterday and still didnt get anywhere...
this gets me confused: OTHER computer creates the game .. my friend tries to connect to the internet IP and he gets nothing.. he cant see the game...
when my friend creates the game and i try to connect with OTHER computer..cant see his game.. BUT on the MAIN computer I can see my friends game no problem. WEIRD??

All the settings are the same on both computers:
Windows Firewall - Disabled
Norton Antivirus - AOE2 has PERMIT ALL

192.168.2.160: 47624
192.168.2.160: 2300-2400

192.168.2.139: 47624
192.168.2.139: 2300-2400

Let me mention one more thing...Just to see if my OTHER computer was not setup correctly I tested by downloading the TEAMSPEAK server from (www.goteamspeak.com) and downloading the client on both computers and my friend downloaded the client.
I opened port 8767 i think it is on my router so OTHER computer can run the server.
Ran the server on OTHER computer
All computers connected via INTERNET IP with no problems (MAIN, OTHER, MYFRIEND COMPUTER)

So i have no clue what im doing wrong here..
Please someone help!! LOL
THX
- Chris

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well your asking a lot about networking. I think that maybe this should be over in the networking forum...