Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft C++ runtime error

• Please log in to reply

stuffyinaz

stuffyinaz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When running certain websites, software applications, I get this runtime error. I haven't been able to diagnose this because I don't know if it is part of Windows, or a separate program component? Does anyone know how I could fix this problem - it locks up whatever program you're trying to use. The error message says something to the effect the application has asked for an unusual termination when the box comes up.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you give the FULL errors?

Do you have the Google Toolbar installed? If so, does uninstalling it solve the issue?

Do you have McAffee software installed? (especially the internet security suite that includes an antiphishing component?) If so, please follow the instructions bellow:

Right click your internet explorer icon located on your desktop. Choose properties, then the advanced tab, then uncheck the box that says "enable third party browser extensions." Then open internet explorer, select tools from the menu bar, then manage add-ons.Disable Mcafee Antiphishing Filter under the "Browser Help Object" section NOT the "Browser Extension." section. Then go back and recheck the box that says "enable third party browser extensions" under the advanced tab of the Internet Explorer properties menu.
Restart internet explorer and everything should be back to normal..

if these do not work go here and download/install.

stuffyinaz

stuffyinaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is full error message: C:\Program Files\InternetExplorer\IEXPLORER.EXE This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

I went in manage add-ons and I do have McAfee but not anti-phising, it shows McAfee Virus Scan as toolbar. I have PCTools Brower Helper which is a Browser Helper Object. I downloaded the Windows Script 5.6, but still got the message. It seems to just have something to do with Windows Explorer - do I need to download an update for it maybe? I'm running explorer 6.0 with SP2 loaded for Windows. Thanks - I appreciate your help. Don't have Google Toolbar loaded - just MSN

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try removing the msntoolbar --does the error recur

stuffyinaz

stuffyinaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I disabled it under the add-ons menu and still got error. I saw the website ad for a software that fixes runtime and registry errors from your website. Maybe I should try their free download? Have to go to work now, sp I'll try some other things later. Thxs again...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please ATTACH a hijackthis log to your next post (find link in my signature)

stuffyinaz

stuffyinaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
apologies - got distracted reading directions on hijack this website...

Edited by stuffyinaz, 18 February 2006 - 09:45 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In the future, please follow instructions.

Please ATTACH, not POST

We do not like hijacklogs posted in this forum because it encourages others to do so. It also causes search engines to point more people to this forum, who post more hijackthis logs....

I am not looking for malware, but if I see indications I will redirect you to a forum where you should post a log

I see you did not remove the msntoolbar, but only disabled it.

This is not what I asked you to do. Please REMOVE IT

Please also remove desktop search

You can reinstall them again later. Because of the integration into IE, they are potentially a cause of this issue. Often times, removing them and reinstalling them will fix this issue, but you MUST remove them and not disable them

Please follow instructions or we cannot help you.

stuffyinaz

stuffyinaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Attached File  logfile.txt   10.27KB   109 downloads have removed msn toolbar & desktop search and attached logfile...hopefully correctly followed directions

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, and the issue continues?

stuffyinaz

stuffyinaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yep...but don't always get the runtime error when on the internet. Sometimes also when trying to use my movie making software, like Sonic or Windows Moviemaker.