Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can i become a geek?

• Please log in to reply

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I notice everyone hear knows loadz of stuff regarding computers like how to fix them and what everything does etc. Does anyone have any advice on how i can become a geek and gain knowledge about every aspect of a computer system?

Advertisements

polopolo

polopolo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=4817

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the rest of us non malware geeks...used alot of trial and error, general experience, ALOT of reading....and alot of broken/fried/smashed/melted computers along the way...some of us (me included) have actually gone to school for this stuff...most of it comes from playing around with these darned contraptions

polopolo

polopolo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Oh
That's why:

Operating System:
3.1, 95, 98SE, xp, 2000, NT4, 2003 Standard Edition, linux (various flavors)

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
"sed alot of trial and error, general experience, ALOT of reading."

Well the PC's not mine so cant fry it. Can i get everything i need regarding reading from the net?

Edited by StudentBusiness12, 16 February 2006 - 03:13 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
It depends, really. What aspect are you interested in? I'd guarantee that Hardware, Networking etc you'll need hands on experience, not just reading. For Malware, 90% of it IS self-taught through reading and such. You can join our GeekU to learn how to fix malware. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.geekstogo...67&hl=langalist

read the manual (Read The Manual) is the first place to start. Read everything you can. If you don't understand something, Google it. Then DO everything you can. Once you learn the basics, there is no substitute for experience. I was intimidated the first time I opened a case, and the first time I built a computer. Now, I do it routinely. You will break things, even after you are "good", but each failure teaches you to be better prepared the next time. I can't tell you how many times I have broken XP, on purpose and deliberately.

If there are classes available in subjects you are interested in, sign up for them. Read the forums (there are others besides this one). Practice on your system and other ones if you can. Good luck to you, and remember- you get out of it what you put into it. Initiative counts.

Johanna

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Really helped, thanks everyone.