Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE and Firefox won't open javascript pages

• Please log in to reply

Great Greebo

Great Greebo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've seen several other posts describing the same problem with java, and I've tried some of the solutions offered but nothing has worked so far.

I use both Firefox and IE (for different purposes) but all of a sudden both of them stopped opening javascript links on webpages. The problem is not limited to just one specific website but occurs with all sites that have javascript links.

This is what happens when I click on a javascript link. The new page doesn't open and...:
Firefox - JavaScript console has the error message, "new_window is not defined" or "GetBookURL is not defined" or any number of other error messages depending on the site.
IE - It says, "error on page", in the bottom left corner of the browser

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Sun Java (v5 update 6), Firefox (v1.5.0.1) and IE (with cumulative update for IE6 SP2 Dec. 05). I've tried uninstalling the most recent version of Sun Java and installing older, archived versions instead. I've gone to Java Tester (http://www.javatester.org/version.html) which says that Java is functioning. I have Java enabled in Firefox options. I've turned off pop-up blocker in IE and Firefox. I've tried connecting through both my wireless gateway router and my dial-up connection. I've turned firewalls off and on. Nothing works so far.

Further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

P.S. I apologize that I initially posted this message on the wrong forum a couple of weeks ago. But I didn't get a response and I've tried several more things since then, to no avail.

P.P.S. If it helps - these are some of the other posts I've looked at that seem to refer to a similar problem.
Feb. 12 '06 - Aileen Delahunty
Feb. 9 '06 - Cour123
Jan. 3 '06 - munmun

Advertisements

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
ok first thing: java and javascript are not the same thing.
now to ur problem: make sure that u don't have javascript disabled in the browsers. my best guess in IE6 would be Tools>Internet Options...>advanced tab. but, i'm not sure so i'd like some1 who knows IE/FF well to answer ur Q

Great Greebo

Great Greebo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK. I checked Firefox. That's pretty easy...Tools>Options>Content. Javascript is enabled. It's not quite so obvious in IE. I went to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced. There's a box for enabling Java(Sun) but I didn't see anything about javascript.

ryurek

ryurek

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've run into a couple of instances where re-registering the DLLs in WIN XP has solved these types of problems. For me, it solved activeX as well as java "new window" problems with links not opening. Not saying it will definitely work, but it doesn't hurt to try (These should all be registered dlls.)

Ignore the causes and reasoning in MSKB article, just follow the resolution.

Click here

Great Greebo

Great Greebo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I reregistered the dll's as instructed in the article. Unfortunately, that didn't work.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
hmm i don't know, but i'm pretty sure it has to be something to do with the browser as it's a browser scripting language.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I use both Firefox and IE (for different purposes) but all of a sudden both of them stopped opening javascript links on webpages. The problem is not limited to just one specific website but occurs with all sites that have javascript links.

Just a thought, but anyone of M$' updates that were installed may have caused this to happen since it is affecting both browsers. Try using another (third) browser and see if you have the same problem or try putting an URL into Windows Explorer's address window and see if you connect ok. Then see if the links will work from that window.

Probably another deadend, but the permissions may not be set and firewall may be inhibiting these.

Ron

Great Greebo

Great Greebo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I downloaded and installed Netscape 8.1 but could not open javascript links with that either. Also tried your suggestion of using Windows Explorer with the same result.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Sure sounds like firewall has permissions denied for what you're trying to do. Only thing I can think of right now, until one of the Gurus come by with the correct solution, is to check "Set Program Access and Defaults" and make sure all your browsers are enabled, Java is enabled, etc.. Access via Start button and should be just below Control Panel listing. Or, if not, select Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel. It should be listed on bottom of window that opens. Just click icon for "Set Program Access and Defaults".

Been up since yesterday and not thinking too clearly right now. Give it a shot and hopefully the more wide awake crowd will help today.

Ron

cluelessgene

cluelessgene

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I posted below blurb a couple of weeks ago on another fix board. Might give you something to think about. Using Firefox, with four other virus/adware programs that caught nothing. NoAdware took care of problem.
Also was told that mydoom was a nasty.

"I was checking out our little snow storm yesterday, decided to use the loop check & my java would not work. Had other things to do and forgot about it. Did my Saturday protectors checks this morn and my NoWare program picked up W32 mydoom.AXC:\windows\java.exe. Removed it, went to my weather station and java works fine. Tried to look up mydoom but didn't get much. Can someone tell me what I had. Should I go to the hospital?"

Great Greebo

Great Greebo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, here's what I tried this weekend. Did a complete virus scan with McAfee. Also scanned with Spybot and NoAdware and cleaned up the files but didn't find mydoom.

Also, checked "Set Program Access and Defaults". Everything seems to be enabled.

So far, nothing's worked. But I appreciate everyone's persistance with this problem and I'd like to keep trying.