Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Not working for me!

• Please log in to reply

imabrickwall

imabrickwall

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
As silly as this may sound, maybe you should check under file, work offline and make sure it is not checked.This is probably not the problem but if it's your little brother's fault that the internet isn't working on your computer, there's a good chance it's something simple.

Perhaps you could run the winsock LSP fix, found in the Geeks to go download section. This could possibly fix your connection. Also some spyware can mess up your internet connection. I once renamed a file that I knew was a spyware component and my internet would not work. The LSP fix is designed to replace registry keys that may have been damaged or infected.

You can change settings for your router by going RUN, type in 'cmd', type 'ipconfig' in command promt, and then put the IP address for your "default gateway" in your address bar in internet explorer.

However, since your parents could use their wireless connections just fine, your router is not a likely cause. If you decide to change the router settings, be sure to know what each specifically does is and always be ready to change it back if it doesn't work. It is probably better to leave those alone. You don't want to take down the internet. I've changed settings and I had to work hard to get them back because I couldn't reach my router through my computer..

Goodluck.

Advertisements

Wtoad

Wtoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
how am i supposed 2 get LSP Fix on that computer if i can't get on the internet in there? Can i download it on 2 a flash disk here or something?

imabrickwall

imabrickwall

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
The program itself is 1.34 megabytes, small enough to fit on any standard floppy disc.

webxican

webxican

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi sorry for the slow response.

After running winipcfg you switch to Netgear then click the more>> button on the bottom. Specifically you're looking for

IP address
Default Gateway
dhcp server
dns server,
lease obtained
lease expired

What we are trying to see is if the router has assigned an IP address for this computer or if the computer has the nic cards ip address.

Thanks

Webxican.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Mind if I put in my 2 bits worth?
If you are running windows 98SE go to control panel
add remove programes look in the list and If you have
in the list Microsoft internet explorer SP1 & Internet tools
Highlight this & click remove This should NOT remove the file but give you 3 options - 1 is to repair (BTW just check the recycle bin & see if it has any internet explorer files if so restore them 1st then do the above.
If it does not give you the repair option then make sure you cancell & don't remove the file.
Cheers
peterm