Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

free ipods? cant be real?

• Please log in to reply

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
They reckon they give u a free ipod??! (deleted web address) I reckon its fake, has anyone got one? there must be a catch?

Edited by coachwife6, 16 February 2006 - 10:19 PM.

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
There is always a catch. You either have to big 10 friends, AND sign up for some online thing that costs money, AND do 10 other things that will probably lead to the loss of your first born child.

Dont fall for it. :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

AND do 10 other things that will probably lead to the loss of your first born child.

:) nice one, Justin! :tazz:

While I'm sure you won't have to give up your first born child...you will have to do everything else just short of that. I haven't found a single one of those "free ipod" type things yet that aren't scams.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alot of them involve loading your computer full of badware/malware as well

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Its a fake, it 100% wont be free, there will be a consequence.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From what ive rad you can technically do it, as long as you cancel all the payments to the things you have had to register once the "trial" period runbs out. But you still need to hand out credit card details and get 10 friends to do the same and you cant then be one of their friends either. While your technically able to do it, know one is actually daft enough to do it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

know one is actually daft enough to do it.

not so...i got an email from one of my brother's idiot friends for this very same offer...EEEEDIOT....

TheWorm

TheWorm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, you'll probably get your "free* ipods, but there will be a catch. You'll have to join a website and refer 10 friends or something like that.

These adds about free ipods and mp3 players are always junk - don't bother.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
yeah there is definitely something suss about it...

TheWorm

TheWorm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Almost anything that says "Free" has some sort of catch. I don't even look at these adds anymore. Every website these days has them.

Advertisements

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well the worst that can happen is that they can charge you 10x as much as the i-pods are in the shops....

DOnt do it man.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No they can probably do worse, like identity theft or something. But it all comes with crapware that i have seen. And everyone should already know you can't get anything free, since its always "free". There's always going to be a catch period.
James

dsqrd2

dsqrd2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Post removed as it had a link (possible spam) disguised within the post. Please remember to NOT post links to things like these "free ipod offers". As stated elsewhere in the thread, many times it is actually a scam...and you can end up getting a lovely little parting gift for visiting. (read...VIRUSES)

Edited by Kat, 28 February 2006 - 04:20 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You xound very like a spammer trying to get people to do that, i think we allready decided its a rip off.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first...i agree with scot you sound like either a spammer or a gratis employee...but since you didn't do any over spamming (link posting and what not...we'll let you stay for now

second

If you agree then you are condemning the intelligence of the USA.

i'm from the usa...we're known to be gullible...can't be avoided...alot of the malware infections we treat here are due to "offers" such as these..for free software and products...so..excuse us for being cynical...is a free ipod realy worth the possibility of being infected with loads of virrii and malware? i think not