Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 ethernet driver wrong location(RESOLVED)

• Please log in to reply

Vasamere

Vasamere

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I recently reformatted and reinstalled windows 98se in my sister's computer (she's stubborn) and I'm experiencing problems concerning her ethernet driver. The OS recognizes the device in the new hardware wizard but claims it can not find the driver. However, it shows up in device manager under "other devices," with the cursed yellow question mark. I tried retrieving driver information from the Windows 98 and ethernet installation disks but it was to no avail. The user's manual and manufacturer's web site were equally as useless. How do I instal the ethernet driver into Network adapters? I have some other hardware conflicts but I was able to locate previous posts on the issue. I'll try out their suggestions before pleading for anymore help. I like to think that I'd figure this out eventually but her patience is weaning. Appreciate any assistence I can get. Thanks

Edited by Vasamere, 18 February 2006 - 05:25 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Vasamere...

Download Everest Home Edition and run it on the machine. This will give you more comprehensive information on the network adaptor (as well as the rest of the system) that may help you find the drivers you need.

If you still can't get it to install, post back with as much information on the device as possible (from the Everest Report) and we'll see if we can help you find the correct drivers.

wannabe1

Vasamere

Vasamere

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks wannabe1, for your advise on "Everest Home Edition," it did the trick. I actually was able to resolve the ethernet issue on my own thanks to my hard headedness but Everest, directed me to the manufacturers web sites for two similiar driver conflicts. I found the ethernet driver with hardware wizard after I typed in: D:\WIN98, in the specify location window. I know your probably saying "duh," right now but the users manual didn't offer installation instructions for windows 98. Thanks again for your good help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...Everest is a very handy tool! Glad you were able to put it to such good use. :)

Good Job! :tazz:

wannabe1