Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2000 log in screen-help, please

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have been lumbering under the assumption this is a domain/workgroup problem but maybe it is not--maybe it is a corrupt profile after all

Whether you can log in or not, you can download an iso image from the site referenced above, and burn it to a CD, and boot to it....you do not need an external floppy.

Additionally, it may not be possible to run the external floppy off a usb port on this machine, depending on whether it supports legacy usb

Do you know how to burn an image?

Advertisements

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I have been lumbering under the assumption this is a domain/workgroup problem but maybe it is not--maybe it is a corrupt profile after all
Whether you can log in or not, you can download an iso image from the site referenced above, and burn it to a CD, and boot to it....you do not need an external floppy.

Additionally, it may not be possible to run the external floppy off a usb port on this machine, depending on whether it supports legacy usb

Do you know how to burn an image?

I tried burning an ISO image but I probably did something wrong because in the past I have only burned cdr's, cdw's, and dvd's but not with an iso image. I would very much appreciate any help you could give me in this.

Angie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive and follow the prompts.

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Angie,
Sorry for being this late.. can you please try to go to BIOS & make your floppy first in booting Sequence.
Then try to put the floppy for resetting the password as Dr. Jae said.

Acually i had similar problem, but in XP. What i did is resetting the password by a secutiry floppy.

this is a site that may help creating a cd or floppy:
Change Password

Edited by RNB, 19 February 2006 - 12:07 AM.

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive and follow the prompts.

I don't know who you are but you have me in tears, good tears. It worked, it actually worked. I am back in the computer. Between your program and the program I had downloaded before, I can again use the computer. Thank you so very, very much. I appreciate what you did for me. I also appreciate everyone else who tried to help me. Maybe this thread can help someone else, too. Angie :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Glad to hear it. Big credit to Wanabee and others, since I was leaning a different way and it was they who correctly diagnosed the issue