Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wondering if it is a motherboard failure

• Please log in to reply

kirret

kirret

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi.

Only thing what the PC I've got is doing after I've swiched it on is that CPU fan is working, I can open CD and DVD-ROMs and thats about it (no picture on screen). I thought it is a motherboard failure, so I swapped it over, but nothing changed. Any other ideas?

Kirret

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Assuming the monitor is good the first step is checking the video card and cable. If you have onboard video, disable it in the bios and install a video card. You really dont need drivers as windows will use default settings and drivers to give you some kind of screen. Still no screen, check the ram. No memory will stop almost everything. Double check all connections( pull out and reseat). All you really need to boot up is MB, cpu, memory, hd, and video card. Pull all other connections and see if you boot. if you do boot reinstall each connection one at a time, restarting each time, until you get no boot.

SRX660

kirret

kirret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi. As I said, I swapped the motherboard over, so I have reconnected every cable. Also I've tried different graphics card. And new MB is with onboard graphics, so I removed AGP one). HDD is working inside other PC, so HDD cant be a problem. Actually, I should get some picture from BIOS, but no, because PC wont go to the Bios. And there is nothing to do with Windows and drivers, because even BIOS wont load up. I dont think that CPU can cause this problem, because MB without CPU should get to BIOS, am I right? Same thing with RAM. If RAM is faulty, BIOS will tell you that your RAM is faulty. But there is saomething else. Also it cant be a power failure, because CPU fan is working, that means power is going to the MB.