Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bandwidth

• Please log in to reply

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry to bring this up again...I have optimum online and they are now up to 15Mbps. I can only get to 9 best case. Last time I posted someone suggested that I only have a 10 Mbps ethernet port. I checked and I have 100Mbps ethernet port (which is attatched to the motherboard).My question is will different or better ethernet cables make any difference in speed?? And what should I look for. I have a Dell dimension 2350 running xp pro. I also have two boxes connected. I have VOIP and a wireless router. I am assuming they would have some affect on bandwidth, but if I'm not on the phone or using the wireless router should that affect it? I guess the real question is above..will better ethernet cables help and what should I look for. I read alot and downloaded DRTCPIP to make sure I am set to the best settings..Thanks for your help...(oh, both boxex are linksys) Not sure of what cables I have now, but just the ones that came with the boxes. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Darrenkook, 18 February 2006 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you checked with the company that maintains your phone lines that it can handle that muc, alot of older lines cant handle delivering bandwidth above 10Mbps.

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Have you checked with the company that maintains your phone lines that it can handle that muc, alot of older lines cant handle delivering bandwidth above 10Mbps.

I called Vonage and they say their service will not affect the bandwidth that my cable company is sending me.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
The cables should be ok, unless you see errors.

Is the wireless router 100Mb? Have you checked all the devices on your side that it is 100Mb? This includes the cable/DSL modem.

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

The cables should be ok, unless you see errors.

Is the wireless router 100Mb? Have you checked all the devices on your side that it is 100Mb? This includes the cable/DSL modem.

I checked my LAN connection and it said 100Mb. Is there another way to check the router???

Thanks for your patience and help!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For the router if you still ahve the box or the manual it should be in it, may also be on the underside but it isnt always and if it is its not always obvious, manufacturers site may be helpful, to truly eliminate it try a router that you know works at that speed, so maybe borrow a friends.

So you are using cable internet, in terms of bandwidth that would guarantee you are ok, i keep forgetting about cable internet no one uses it in the uk really its all over the landlines which can be a problem for older lines.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts

I checked my LAN connection and it said 100Mb. Is there another way to check the router???

You can look on the web for information about it from the make of the unit or other sites.

What is the make and model of the router and the modem?

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

For the router if you still ahve the box or the manual it should be in it, may also be on the underside but it isnt always and if it is its not always obvious, manufacturers site may be helpful, to truly eliminate it try a router that you know works at that speed, so maybe borrow a friends.

So you are using cable internet, in terms of bandwidth that would guarantee you are ok, i keep forgetting about cable internet no one uses it in the uk really its all over the landlines which can be a problem for older lines.

I have a cable modem...

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

You can look on the web for information about it from the make of the unit or other sites.

What is the make and model of the router and the modem?

I have a motorola SB4200 cable modem and a linksys 802.11g wireless router. Model is WRT546. I'm gonna take your advice and see what the website says...Thank you all for your help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Routers and modems are essentially similar they serve the same function advice applies to both, in fact it applies to almost every external peripheral they all usually have a label somewhere with the info on them which as i said you then look up on the manufacturers site and you should then find all the manuals, drivers and support links for that product, theres usually an FAQ and if youre lucky a tech support forum for trouble shooting the problem and finding others with the same problem.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 February 2006 - 05:11 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
Are you sure about the Linksys model number? I can't find that. Is it a WRT54G?

The Motorola SB4200 has an upstream limit of 10Mb/s, so if this is the direction that you are trying to go you are limited at that point. Downstream is 38Mb/s max, so that should not be a problem.

http://broadband.mot...odem/SB4200.pdf

The Linksys WRT54G has 10/100 ports, so unless something is misconfigured you should not be limited at that point, although the wireless is limited to 54Mb/s and the above modem is limited to 38Mb/s.

http://www.linksys.c...5&ssbinary=true

One thing to realize is that the cable companies tend to advertise the MAXIMUM data rate, but that is not the same as what you will get.

If you are using the range of versions of Firefox, you can try:

https://addons.mozil...ication=firefox

Online web page test:

http://reviews.cnet....4-7254_7-0.html

Download test:

http://sourceforge.n...?group_id=55924

I just found these through a web search, so use at your own risk.