Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nerd/geekness/shame?

• Please log in to reply

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Everyone seems so eager to admit that theyre geeks around here but doesnt anyone mind the stereotypical tohught that geeks are losers? I know different (im here right) but doesnt other peoples views bother anyone in the slightest?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not particuallrly, if anyone has a problem with it they are clearly ignorant and not worth knowing, most people quite like knowing someone technology savvy we are handy folks to have around. Im not a loser, you live the life you want to lead, im sure some people are stereotypical geeks, but whats the stereotype.

Me im a full time chemical engineering student and i do this in my spare time, im kinda geeky in that im not the total drunken idiot like most students and i dont go out all the time but thats because i dont enjoy crowds and loud rubbish music not because im a geek.

There are alot of people on here that are ex military and are certainly not geeks. I was a cadet for years before i joined this site and can do all sorts of cool stuff including flying planes and am a marksman on everything from .22 to 7.62mm on long range target rifles, those certainly arent geeky skills.

If you are weak enough to be bothered by other peoples opinions perhaps its time you re-evaluate whats important to you.

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
would like to be a real geek---

a geek
is a
geek
is a
geek

peace,

-t

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
This is why I hate stereotypes so much. To know me, no one would ever guess I'm a geek at heart. I am so far removed from what the "stereotype" says I should be/how I should look/how I should act. You know what I've learned since I joined here? NO ONE meets the stereotype. You get to know the Staff here, and you name me a single one who is a true "Geek". One of our biggest Experts/geniuses (and therefore a true geek, right?) also happens to have long hair, and is a hard core rocker..as in he plays in a band. Another of them raises beautiful dogs, and yet another is secretly a ballroom dancer. Look at me..a single mom, middle age *gulp*, with a passion for music and the outdoors (fishing, camping etc).
You won't find a single person here who fits that stupid stereotype. What you WILL find, instead, is a group of very talented people who come from a wide variety of backgrounds, from all religions and walks of life, some have money and some barely make ends meet. Some of us may have broken homes, while others have a very solid family life. Each and every Staff member here has one very important thing in common though...and it is NOT simply our brains. It is a love of helping people, a passion for trying to make right what the malware makers have screwed up.
If that's what being a geek is all about, then I am dang proud to be called one. :tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Simply put, no. I've got much better things to do with my time than worry about what other people think of me. :)

I'm a college student and I'm majoring in Computer Science. I love working with computers and I love being a Geek - and if that's wrong I don't wanna be right. :)

The only thing that matters is what I think of myself. I would be unhappy being anything other than a Geek and if people want to pass judgement that's their problem, not mine.

I'm not a stereotypical Geek (what is that nowadays anyway?), but even if you are there is nothing wrong with it and you shouldn't let people get to you because of their narrow-minded views.

JMHO

Michelle :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

you shouldn't let people get to you because of their narrow-minded views.

Beautifully said, Michelle :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i love the fact that i'm a :tazz: geek :) and if someone laughs at me because of it, i just let them know that i'll be thier boss in the future and guess what. YOUR GOINA GET FIRED! :) And really who cares if you stick out, if it's what you like then do it regardless of others thoughts!
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 February 2006 - 10:41 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If the worst thing someone can call me is a "geek"...I'm doing well. Trust me.

Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not to worry, Geeks are losers like the rest of us, except they refuse to lose to their computer that is; besides, didn't we read somewhere "Blessed are the Geek for theirs shall be the Kingdom of Hang on"(hang on I'll just add....)

Edited by fleamailman, 19 February 2006 - 11:15 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
logically...the stereotypical geek wouldn't care what anyone thought of them...they'd be too busy being inside playing D&D or being on their computer 24/7....most STEREOTYPICAL geeks...are too busy with their attempts to take over the world to be bothered by the "normals" out there... besides...stereotypical geeks....are generally antisocial...so they wouldn't want to hang out with anyone else anyway...

also... http://www.geekstogo...p?showuser=2318 does that look like a normal geek to you? hehe doubt it....i miss johny...wonder where he's been?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Taking over the world is becoming more difficult these days now that there are geeks allready in control so youve got to beat the rest of the geeks to control the world. Its a vicous circle, dont worry when its my turn ill try not to destroy the world.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Its a vicous circle, dont worry when its my turn ill try not to destroy the world.

At least spare Geeks To Go. :tazz:

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Johnny Rambo looks like a cool punk star which makes his name make sence >.< :tazz:. Hes not stereotypical geek i agree.

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
who cares what people say/ think about geeks or non-geeks.
would be very happy to be a geek--- or at least the associated knowledge.....
maybe one day....

at any rate, who started all this anyway ?

peace,

-t.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not a geek, never considered myself one anyway.