Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pationing an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have a new SimpleTech 250 GB external drive. I want to partition it into two partitions, one for main HDD backup and the other for storage. I know to go into disk management and when I see the drive, I right click on it and it appears to be one partition. Do I delete this partition, then use disk management to create two partitions? Do I then have to reformat each partition or initialize them? I am reuuning Windows XP home.

I'd appreciate it if someone could walk me through a few steps here.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If it has a partition, you would need to delete it (all data would be lost). It might be that there is no partition, so it is all free.

All you need to do is what you said. It should create the filesystem after you partition each one, it is part of the process. It does ask if you want to do it quick, which takes much less time.