Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

G2G not working sometimes

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I have been unable to reach the site at times.
Happens with Opera and IE.

Only from work so I kind of figured it was due to the internet filter we have here.
It looks and acts like a DNS problem, but I'm never able to solve it the normal way.
Then when I try later, I can get here again without any change on my end.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hey guys,
first things first i am not complaining about your site i think its great i have asked many questions and recived many answers
but the problem is this during certain times when i try to get onto your website internet explorer displays a msg saying that the server cannot be found and on some occasions it says that the webiste has been moved or has changed names

this is very frustrating because sometimes i have to wait a day sometimes 2 just to get onto your website.
even when i get a new Email message saying that there has been a reply to a topic i click on the link and it displays the above messages.

now lok i dont no wheather this is from your end or mine but i can always accsess other sites but not this one if you guys could investigate this it would be great
sorry if i have posted in the wrong area i wasnt sure to put this here or in the internet forum if i have posted it incorrectly, my apologies move it and i will reply there (just notify me)

thanks guys
troppo

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello. I'm so sorry you're having trouble. :tazz: We have another thread about this same problem going HERE We aren't sure at this time what exactly the problem is, but we are working to find a solution! :)

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
not pointing the finger but maybe its your server or internet service provider (i dont no much about these things) but perhaps that could be the problem :)
i hope this gets sorted out because after reading the other posts there are a few that are in the same boat as me :)
goodluck with finding out the problem
nowing how smart all u guys are it shouldnt take you long :tazz: (i hope) lol

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Hello. I'm so sorry you're having trouble. :tazz: We have another thread about this same problem going HERE We aren't sure at this time what exactly the problem is, but we are working to find a solution! :)

You realize you linked him to this same topic? :) :)

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
Hi everyone.....

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I haven't had ANY problems since I posted on Tuesday. Perhaps someone plugged an internet router back in somewhere?? :tazz: Anyone else still having problems?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
MasterJ

I merged these threads after Kat responded. She knows what she is doing. I didnt think there was a need for 2 threads that were exactly the same thing.

As for the connection problems, I have very rarely had any problems connecting to GTG. The few times I have had problems, I have always been able to track them down to a router/cache/firewall problem on my end. Luckily I have that ability as a network admin :)

As was mentioned before, Admin will be around after his vacation and I am sure he will study the server logs to see if there are any problems on our end.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I'm still having the same issues at least once or twice a day. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Me, too...... :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There have been some random DNS issues. We'll revisit the DNS config and make sure it's nothing on our end. We do have some pretty aggressive filters that can ban an IP address, but that has generally not been the problem. Usually it's a DNS server cache issue (which is provided by your local ISP). Next time you're unable to connect, try Start -> Run, type cmd, and then nslookup www.geekstogo.com.

What you should see...

Non-authorative answer:
Name: geesktogo.com
Address: 70.84.249.84
Alias: www.geekstogo.com

If you see

[your ISP]...can't find geekstogo.com: Non-existent domain

...it's a DNS cache issue.

Please report your findings. We are very interested to get to the bottom of this.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

What you should see...

Non-authorative answer:
Name: geesktogo.com
Address: 70.84.249.84
Alias: www.geekstogo.com

I just now couldn't get here for three minutes straight. :) Kept getting "operation timed out...". As soon as I couldn't get on the second time I tried, I did the start>run>cmd. and I DID get the above in the code box. :tazz: So it's not a dns issue for me, anyway. :)

drex23

drex23

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 77 posts
I know you guys know about it, thus this thread's existence, but I couldn't get on here all day yesterday, it wasn't just a couple minute thing. I will try the advice in the thread for dns cache thing if I have the problem again. Just thought I'd let you know. :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello everyone,
i don't know if this has anything to do with what is going on here, however i found that when i couldn't connect to geekstogo and was getting a operation aborted error pop up i found that removing the temperairy internet files caused this. Once the pop-up appearded i noticed that objects where still being downloaded (lower right hand corner). So i waited till it was done (about 20 secondes) and then re-entered the site and it seemed to work fine. However this only happend to me twice and both times it worked. Don't know if it was a coincidence but it worked for me and might work for others. Just thought i ought to bring it up.
thanx
James

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Another tool to help with access issues: http://www.dnsstuff....p=geekstogo.com

Should resolve to geek13.gtghosting.com. If not send me a PM, or post the log here when able to access the site again.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
lol I have no clue what that link is or does, but is it normal for it to say "[Router did not respond]"? I wasn't having problems when I clicked it, just wanted to see :tazz: