Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

Yenrab

Yenrab

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys, whats up? 19/m from Bowie, Maryland. I have been building my own PC's for years now, and I don't even know how to troubleshoot a most likely simple problem. Heres whats happening:

Okay, I do random stuff on my computer. Chat on AIM, surf a website, etc etc, and my computer can give me the blue screen of death anytime it wants. I have no idea how to fix this problem. I have troubleshooted everything from viruses/adaware/trojans to actually unplugging stuff inside my computer and trying each one by one, and I still get random errors. Please, I will answer any questions anyone has, this problem is just a living nightmare that I have been having for the past couple of days. I have even installed XP Home with SP1 and SP2, all these combinations, so it's not my Windows copy. Thanks for anyone who else!

Oh and by the way, I feel VERY stupid I can't fix this because I have worked for a Lawfirm in DC last summer in the I.T. department. Blah, maybe it's just one of those days.

Edited by Yenrab, 18 February 2006 - 10:56 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Yenrah! Welcome to G2G!

What are the error messages you are getting when you get the Blue Screens of Death?

Fenor

Yenrab

Yenrab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi Yenrah! Welcome to G2G!

What are the error messages you are getting when you get the Blue Screens of Death?

Fenor

Hey Fenor!

Im thinking its a memory problem, but im not quite sure yet. How do I keep the blue screen of death from just popping up for like 3 seconds and then restarting? I want to be able to write the message down so I can post it on here.

Thanks!

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery settings, uncheck 'automatically restart'

then you wait :tazz:

Yenrab

Yenrab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery settings, uncheck 'automatically restart'

then you wait :tazz:

Okay, so my comp crashed, and gave me this error:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
An attempt was made to execute non executable memory.
Check to make sure new hardware or software is properly installed
Tech information: STOP: 0x000000FC (0xec358970,0x19bc5103,0xec358650,0x00000001)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Then I restarted, and got 2 more errors before it would even boot up into windows:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Check to make srue you have adequate disk space. If a driver identified is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for a driver update. Try changing video adapters. Check with hardware vendor for BIOS updates, Disable dios memory options such as caching and shadowing.
Tech Info: STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xeed3a1a3,0xf79a7728,0xf79a7424)

And then the other one was:

PFN_List_Corrupt
Tech Info: STOP: 0x0000004e(0x0000008f,0x0001506b,0x0001d06b,0x00000000)

Then after I restarted again it finally worked. Also, some of my programs just wont work and then sometimes they do work.

Okay, so lets see. The first message seems to be the memory, if im correct. I have Crucial Ballstix 3200 2 512MB sticks of ram.

The second error message seems to be talking about the hard drive. I have a 200gig Sata hard drive, and im only using about 10gig or so.

The third error message I have no idea what that is.

Take it from there guys! I REALLY appreciate this, seeing as I am lost in the sauce.

PC Specifications:

Windows XP Professional w/ SP2
Crucial Ballistix 3200 2 512MB sticks
ATI Radeon X850XTPE Video card
200gig sata Hard drive
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
A8V Deluxe Motherboard

Edited by Yenrab, 19 February 2006 - 03:43 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Couple of questions I need you to answer to help narrow down the search:
  • Do you have a Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 Joystick attached to your computer? Or any joystick/gamepade whatsoever
  • How many items do you have attached to your computer using usb ports?
  • How many usb ports do you have (including those in the back and those in the front of the case (if any).
  • What was the last piece of hardware that you attached to this computer before you started having these problems?
Fenor

EDIT:

I have even installed XP Home with SP1 and SP2, all these combinations, so it's not my Windows copy.

So you have reformatted and reinstalled your computer to try to solve this situation and it hasn't worked or do you mean that you've updated your computer to SP2??

Edited by Fenor, 19 February 2006 - 07:03 PM.

Yenrab

Yenrab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Couple of questions I need you to answer to help narrow down the search:

• Do you have a Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 Joystick attached to your computer? Or any joystick/gamepade whatsoever
  • How many items do you have attached to your computer using usb ports?
  • How many usb ports do you have (including those in the back and those in the front of the case (if any).
  • What was the last piece of hardware that you attached to this computer before you started having these problems?
Fenor

EDIT:
So you have reformatted and reinstalled your computer to try to solve this situation and it hasn't worked or do you mean that you've updated your computer to SP2??

Hey Fenor,

It looks like I actually solved the problem myself. It looks like one of my memory sticks WAS bad, even though I tested it before and it seemed like it wasn't the problem at first. The sucky thing is the warranty on the memory was for a year, and it's been a year and 6 days, but hopefully they will make an exception to keep a happy customer.

I do have one other question. My napster or bearshare wont connect anymore. I have NO firewall, and on my router settings I have enabled the DMZ zone for my computer to allow all connections. I have used napster and bearshare before with the router, but it seems like it doesn't want to work anymore, any other suggestions to get that mother to work?

Yenrab

Yenrab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Same thing is happening again. Even when im directly connected to the cable modem, it STILL wont connect, this is SO weird, any suggestions?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Unplug the cable modem and turn off your PC. Leave both unplugged for a minimum of 5 minutes. Then plug in the modem and wait at least a minute to let it initialize and then turn on your computer. Once your computer is up, try connecting to the Internet through your browser of choice. If you can't, go to START-->RUN and type in ipconfig /all. What does it say for Connection-specific DNS Suffix? Also, does the IP Address look like a real IP address? DON'T POST THE IP LISTED HERE!

Fenor