Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats Better

• Please log in to reply

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
whats better a dell xps for 1500 or a custom pc for 1500 and if its the custom pc can you please post a list of the parts and links to the parts ( i prefer newegg.com) thanks guys and subtract 80 dollars from that for my case =)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dells are poor for desktops above 200 or 300 bucks they do good cheapo ones but anymore and they start to show how poor they are for the money. XPS are especially poor they are the only gaming system that uses intel and they are far overpriced.

Parts are basically a case of how long is a piece of string there is no answer, it depends on the computers use and how long its to last what you want to spend money on how you plan to upgrade in future. Also its just lazy getting other people to rake through websites for your parts,

Read some reviews and look on the sites, you want an AMD cpu and 2Gbs of ram preferably on an NF4 motherboard with a 500W ish quality psu.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
totally agree with warriorscot on the Dell point. I still have trouble as in seeing how people can so rediculously price PCs. AMD is hands down the best at gaming, intel only get back into it in video editing and stuff. for dual core get the 4400+ and for e buget people get 3700+. these two are the best but the AMD line are really close so any can do fine. NF4 ultra is the best chipset and MSI, Abit, Gigabyte are all good. for a good board get the MSI, K8N Neo4 Platinum. gfx card, you should get a 6800GS or X800GTO, both are well priced for the power they give. 500Watts minimum and thats about all that is. HDD is up to you, Seagate or WD. RAM is Corsair, either the Value or XMS ones. never get the XPS, they are all for show. stick with AMD and the 7800GTX will soon be obselete as the TOP nVidia card when the new 8000s come out so wait until June or so before you splash out your cash for the big guns

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Man, i remember when the 7800GTX was the big hype, now the 8000 is due for release?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Always was due for release, but its still shrouded in mystery, will it be next month will it be june its all a mystery.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Man, i remember when the 7800GTX was the big hype, now the 8000 is due for release?

talk about remebering, i remember when 3d acceleration at all was a big thing.

yeah, depending whether you want to spend $200 or $300, get either the 6800gs or the 7800gt for a graphics card. both will run every game today great, the 7800gt probably will take you more into the future. i wouldnt wait for the 8000's though, it will just be the same, and then you will want to wait for 9000s or whatever.

i just wonder why nvidia always releases (in any specific series) the top end first, then low end, then middle, then moves on. ex: 6800 + gt +ultra, 6200, 6600 + gt, 6600le... 7800gt + gtx, 7300, 7800gs....

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
mind making me a fresh list for 1.5 grand cause imma go shopping

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Read some reviews, putting together custom parts list is something most people pay for and while we do it often for free if we just do it for you you miss half the point of building a pc and wont have the knowledge you need to build/maintain and upgrade the machine. And remeber we are volunteers all our lives are as busy if not more so than your own.

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
aww i though u guys just lived in these forums aww jk im just asking for a simpel list i can learn later on but right now i need a pc fast

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im here hiding from my depressingly hard maths assignment thats all, we cant put a simple list together unless you say what the pc is for, it wouldnt be custom if we pick the parts for you we need to know criteria before anything can happen its like asking how long a length of string is.

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
gaming pc that can handle anything really fast for 1.5 grand =)

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
um....i'm in NZ and don't have new egg but i have specs for a gaming mahcine at 2000 USD on conversion with out LCD monitor so it's fairly expensive:

AMD 4400+ Athlon X2
XFX 7800GTX
Scythe Ninja HSF
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum or DFI UT nForce 4 Ultra mobo
1 Gb Corsair XMS RAM in 512Mb sticks.
250Gb Seagate HDD
Antec SuperLanboy
535 Watt Enermax PSU
Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers

this is the specs. you could cut down the costs by buying a 3700+ CPU because it is the same core as the 4400+ but the 4400+ has two 3700+ in it. 4400+ is for general multimedia stuff, games now adays only take one core, soon however there will be games using two or more cores. but the second core allows you to run two games at the same time(no idea why), run a virus scan and a game, encode media and run a game or any two CPU intensive tasks with out ever lagging. you could also move down to a 6800GS or X800GTO which both are good enough for anything but FEAR, COD2 and stuff like that. maybe you could get the 3700+, a MSI K8N SLI mobo (Diamond ones are good) and pair it up with two 6800GS in SLI. it's a bit cheaper i think, not sure cos i don't want to try and work it out(just lazy). that way you can brag about a SLI setup with a good gaming CPU and still have decent speeds!

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i would go with a 7800gt in the system above. also i would go with a cheaper processor to save some money. most people forget what slow is, and forget practically all processors these days are fast. an amd 64 venice skt 939 like 3000+ or higher would be quite nice. as shown above; warriorscot games with a 3200+

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
yer, i agree with binaryman. CPUs don't come into gaming until lower res so you could get a 3000+ and have two 7800GTX in SLI and have same preformance as a 4800+ with two 7800GTX in SLI! so get a cheaper CPU, the X2s are good for the future(multicore world) but other than that get maybe a 3700+, 3500+, 3200+ or what ever but not below 3000+. then get gfx cards as you see fit. a gamers buget should be of total system, 40% or more on gfx and 25% and under on CPU

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
put in the opteron 165
dfi lanparty- ultra d
antec sonata II
antec 500w smartpower
7800gt
320 gig hd
dvd - burner