Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't hear the modem connecting

• Please log in to reply

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi all,

Okay, my computer has been acting funny as of lately. I run things all of the time for Spyware, but never seem to find anything. And I have AVG, so I assume there are no viruses.

Anyway... whenever I'd connect to the internet (good old dial up, mind you) I would hear the modem in the computer making the connection.

Okay, so about two months ago I got more RAM for my computer, because I was running on only 128... horrible!

Now everything is MUCH faster, even connecting to the internet (or so it seems). But after I installed the RAM, I could hear the computer making the connection through the speakers, not just in the computer itself.

Okay... no biggie. I got a lot of improved sound quality after I got the RAM installed.

But a couple of weeks ago, I'd start connecting to the Internet... and there would be absolutely no sound at all. Not from the speakers, not from the computer/modem itself (which I ALWAYS heard before).

Now there's nothing. I even thought that it wasn't getting a dial tone or something at first, because I couldn't hear it connecting. Then the little popup in the bottom right would pop up saying "Connected at 'such and such' speed"

This is more of a curiosity thing than it is a real issue, but does anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > control panel >

Two possible settings

Some modems add a MODEM applet--look for SPEAKER

or

Phones and Modems > MODEM tab > PROPERTIES > MODEMs > Speaker properties

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I couldn't find anything that said Modem Applet.

As for the speaker properties, it was not on mute, but it was turned up one above that. I tried turning it up more, but it still doesn't work. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It could be that the modem speaker is just dead...these things are just 5cent speakers

It could also be that a modem string was added to your internet connection that turns off the modem...this will supercede the default setting

Try to create a new internet connection using the internet connection wizard, usign the same info from the original and see if that one presents sound

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

It could be that the modem speaker is just dead...these things are just 5cent speakers

It could also be that a modem string was added to your internet connection that turns off the modem...this will supercede the default setting

Try to create a new internet connection using the internet connection wizard, usign the same info from the original and see if that one presents sound

Okay, it must be the speaker thing, because the new internet connection didn't have a sound either.

Is this a real issue though? I mean, do I really need a replacement speaker?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no not a big deal...one more thought, it could also be the modem driver

Did you visit windows update or update to sp2 or something?

It would not hurt to visit the modem makers website and get the latest drivers

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

It would not hurt to visit the modem makers website and get the latest drivers

Sorry for the delay. I'll check this out soon. Thanks!