Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless not working

• Please log in to reply

king kong

king kong

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
i have a comaqe presario v2000 laptop like 2 months old and it cannot connect to the netgear wireless roadrunner modem it sayes its connected but then when i click the mozilla button it says my server is not found and the same for ie i have turned off my firewalls ect so can you guyz help me

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi King Kong,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Thanks,
Dan.

king kong

king kong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
will do its on my lap top so ill do it asap

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\tim1>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-4105e587b6
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-B1-AE-D9

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-20-A5-B3
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

C:\Documents and Settings\tim1>

Edited by king kong, 19 February 2006 - 07:40 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Okay, well you aren't connecting to your modem properly; hence the Media Disconnected message.

Have you ever been able to connect to the modem from this laptop?

Try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection ~ you may need to copy this file to your Laptop with a USB chip if you have one; if not, try the following commands.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then do the following:
1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test.

If you have never been able to connect to the modem from this laptop, then what steps have you taken to set it up?

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

Thanks,
Dan.

king kong

king kong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i was connectted once for like 1 month then they replaced the box like 3 times and replaced the cables 1nce

edit my computer had like 600 errors and warnings
did the steps and i still do not have the internet even the winstock

Edited by king kong, 19 February 2006 - 10:52 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Could you please copy some of the more recent errors? Just those relating to your connection, ie: DHCP, DCOM, DNS, TCPIP, etc.

Could you please also post an ipconfig /all from a working computer; ie: a computer that is successfully connecting to the Internet through that modem.

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

Thanks,
Dan.

Edited by Dan G, 20 February 2006 - 06:43 PM.

king kong

king kong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ight this is from the computer that i am on now

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kathy>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CPQ13864138956
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-53-BB-1B

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Netgear CG814 USB Cable Modem
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B5-2E-E6-59
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.92.226.9
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 20, 2006 10:37:38 P
M
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 20, 2006 11:37:38 P
M

C:\Documents and Settings\Kathy>

king kong

king kong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
these are the errors i get
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0014A520A5B3. The IP address being used is 169.254.56.68.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
thats the last 1
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0014A520A5B3. The IP address being used is 169.254.56.68.Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0014A520A5B3. The IP address being used is 169.254.56.68.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Okay, well first of all can you please try setting up a Static IP --

Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address [192.168.0.11], Subnet Mask [255.255.255.0] and Default Gateway [192.168.0.1] --> Now select Use the following DNS Servers --> Enter in these two DNS Servers [24.92.226.9 and 24.92.226.102] --> Press OK.

If you still cannot connect, then retun your settings to Obtain an IP Address automatically and Obtain DNS Server address automatically.

Do you know if your Network Adapter is setup in Infrastructure mode or Adhoc?

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

Thanks,
Dan.

king kong

king kong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
on which computer do you want me to do that stuff in and i belive infastructure

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff