Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP notebook

• Please log in to reply

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Gerryf - thanks for your help also!
TP1002

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Accept the Agreement...F8

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
oh no!
Set up did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.
Setup cannot continue...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try one more time to enter BIOS setup and change that setting for the HDD to "Auto"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We've got this narrowed down to one of two things here...and neither one is pretty. We may be looking at a bad HDD. OR...something I haven't seen for quite a while...a boot sector virus. If it's the virus, we may be able to get past it and get you running. If it's the HDD, there's not going to be a lot we (or anyone else) can do other than to replace the drive. :tazz:

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm having trouble getting AUTO to stay when I'm in the Bios setup.

I go into Hard drive and choose Auto, but when I save and exit it comes up as NONE.

I've tried save & exit and ESC. What am I doing wrong?

TP1002

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're not doing anything wrong, tp1002...you're doing very well. It's the machine that's discombobulated.

At this point, I think the HDD has headed South on you. A boot sector virus would interfere with booting, but would not cause the HDD to not be detected. When you mentioned a noise a couple posts ago, did it sound like any of the sounds found HERE?

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Wannabe1 -
It's mostly clicking noises. They may have been there before, but they're amplified.
So maybe there's a HDD problem? I know it's hard to diagnose without seeing or hearing what's wrong.
I was hoping to save the files that I should have backed up, but I should know better...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is one of those good news bad news moments.

I'm almost positive that the HDD is gone as far as actually using it is concerned, but, we haven't been able to access it so the files that were on it are still there and are probably recoverable using another machine to do the recovery.

Here's what we've discovered:

The BIOS, though a bit balky, works and saves all the settings with the exception of the HDD...this indicates a bad HDD.

We have been unable to access the Master Boot Record (which is on the HDD)...this indicates a bad HDD

Recovery Console is unable to detect the HDD...this indicates a bad HDD

Your original complaint PXE-E61 is telling us that it can't find boot instructions on the HDD...this indicates a bad HDD

I think we're spurring a dead horse... :tazz:

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Wannabe1 - If I were a gambler, I'd bet on the HDD...

Anyway, I'm so not comfortable with opening up and diving in, so I'll bring it to someone for help.

I can't thank you enough!! I'll be able to give them an idea of what's wrong and I feel justified because I've done everything I could to fix it.

Thanks again for all of your help - I really appreciate it!!

I'll let you know how it all ends - but again - Thank you!

TP1002

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome, tp1002 :)

I only wish it could have been a little better resolution for you. When you have a new drive put in, see if they will slave the old one and pull your data for you. It should be a matter of moving files from one drive to the other...a simple operation for a tech with the right tools.

I would be interested in knowing what you find out... :tazz:

Regards...

wannabe1

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Wannabe1 - will do.

And thanks again for all of your help!!

TP1002

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

I brought the laptop to a friend who confirmed that it wasn't a virus and that the HDD was bad (you were right). I thought this repair would be covered under the extended warranty, so I sent it in - but they insist that the loose mouse keys be repaired first. The cost for mouse/mouse key repairs is $360 (not covered because they consider it physical abuse - this laptop traveled only twice in 3 years and was never abused). I use an optical mouse - so the repair isn't really necessary. If I pay for the mouse keys, there's no guarantee that they won't find another reason not to fix the HDD and charge me. No more extended warranties for me!

Bottom line:
This laptop has had many OS problems (due to viruses, etc.) over the last 6 months and it's performance has been poor. I have been working on these problems off and on for months. Will replacing the HDD get rid of these problems?

Is HDD replacement difficult? Should I fix it myself? The warranty person said use a clean room for repairs - is that necessary?

The replacement HDD for this model is expensive ($400 from HP). I've checked a few other places but I don't know if I can upgrade the HDD (eg. existing specs 4200 rpms, can I update to 7200 rpms)?

Or should I consider purchasing a new laptop?

You've been so helpful in the past, I was hoping you might have an opinion...

Thanks, TP1002

Edited by tp1002, 18 March 2006 - 08:31 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tp1002...

Thanks so much for getting back to us...it's always nice to find out that our troubleshooting has been verified. :)

HDD replacement is not that difficult on most laptops...a pretty straight foreward operation. Make sure you have everything you need to reinstall the OS...If you have a recovery cd set, you should be good to go. You might also visit the HP website and download the manual for your machine, if you don't already have it.

The higher RPM drive shouldn't make a lick of difference other than the performance will improve a bit. :tazz:

Unless you are planning to send the laptop to Mars, I don't think you'll need the clean-room...you ever seen the workbenches in most computer shops? I'll bet there's no showercaps or paper suits used at HP, either.

With normal care and common sense, you should be able to do the repairs yourself. Besides...there's always G2G!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 March 2006 - 07:53 PM.

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you Wannabe1 - I appreciate all of your help and opinions!!
TP1002