Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Backup Battery

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I just perchased my first UPS system two days ago. I'm wondering if I should let Windows XP Home manage the power settings for that batter or the included software, PowerChute Personal Edition, do it. I'm finding more power saving options with XP, but the PowerChute software makes logs of changes in power events.

What do you all recomend?

It's an APC XS 1500 on a DYI system.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm generally more inclined to let the software designed by the hardware maker run the show then the generic windows solutions as a rule unless something compels me otherwise.

The extra features? Are they important to you? If not, I'd go with PowerChute Personal Edition

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If the UPS has software that initiates an orderly shutdown of Windows after the power is interrupted for your specified amount of minutes, use it.

Johanna
ex-fryer of motherboards

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would use the powerchute...i use it with all my APC backup's here at work...and it works well...the one's on my servers email me a little more often that i would like...but that's because of the idiots who wired the electical in the building....not the software...

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thank you all for the information. 3 out of 3 isn't bad. It looks like I'll stick with the PowerChute software. The only reason I asked is because Windows will manage the power just as well as PowerChute. I was just trying to keep extra software from running in the background. For power management, however, I shouldn't be so stingy with RAM.

Thanks Gang,

Magus

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
windows CLAIMS it will manage the same...but it almost never does....